cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
RevJames
Level 1
15 7 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Revamp

Compaq presario
Microsoft Windows XP

Hi all

I am looking in to buying a new HP desktop, my 5/6 year old Compaq presario is very tired and needs a rest.

my question is can I revamp and fit a new hard drive to it and maybe speed it up a tad, if possibal I would like to keep it just to attach a slide scanner to and then transfur the images to my new Pavilion 500-515na (when i get it).

I am not a computer tech and would like your advice.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Retired
Retired
7,771 6,895 449 845
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Revamp

Hi there  @RevJames

I understand that you are looking for information on upgrading your system. I am happy to help you with this.

Depending on how far you want to go, you can easily get to the point where an upgrade could cost as much as a newer computer. If you mix and match components, newer components will likely not have drivers for Windows XP, so you would probably need to upgrade the operating system as well. Also if you upgrade the operating system, older components may not have drivers for the new operating system.

When it comes to the hard drive, you would need to be sure that a new hard drive is compatible, with your BIOS and the connections. New hard drives are generally setup for use with the newer UEFI BIOS. An older BIOS would likely not recognize the device. A newer board with a UEFI BIOS has a setting to enable legacy support which allows it to start up off on an older hard drive.

Also you may find some of this information of use. How to upgrade an old PC - pcworld.com

My intent is not to dissuade you, but illustrate some of the potential issues you might run into. It is best to be informed.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
RevJames
Level 1
15 7 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Revamp

Hi

I must point out that the O/S that is running at the moment is W7 but i wish aquire or change that to XP as this is the only O/S that is fully compatable with the slide scanner that I have. therefore is it possible to change the O/S .

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
7,771 6,895 449 845
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Revamp

@RevJames

Thank you for the additional information. I assumed that you had Windows XP already, based on what was in your previous post. Anyway, the drivers available for your system depend on the model itself, and what configurations it was sold in.

Please post the full product number for your notebook, so I can look for the support page and check for the available drivers. See the following, if you need help with that information.
How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
0 Kudos
RevJames
Level 1
15 7 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Revamp

Hi

The Product number is VN450AA#ABU

Many Thanks

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
7,771 6,895 449 845
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Revamp

@RevJames

On checking the support page for your system: Compaq Presario CQ5231UK Desktop PC It appears that it is supported for Windows Vista and Windows 7. There are no specific drivers for Windows XP.

With that in mind I would suggest that you look through this: HP Products - What If I Don't See My Operating System?

If the device you are looking  at using does not have drivers for Windows Vista or Windows 7, you may need to try and see if you can get it to work in compatibility mode. It may be an option.  Install and use Windows XP Mode in Windows 7 - windows.microsoft.com

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation