cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
ldoly Honor Student
Honor Student
5 3 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Runtime Error! Program: X: \windows\system32\Restore7.exe

My computer HP Pavilion 6010n will not start when I try to use the recovery disks I got from HP. I get this error message when Itry to initiate the process. Runtime Error! Program: X: \windows\system32\Restore7.exe. I dont know what to do. Someone please help.

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
2,787 2,628 114 526
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey Idoly, 

I'm sorry you're running into this issue with using the Recovery discs. 

When did you get the discs?

You could try creating your own Windows 7 disc, if you want. 

First, look at the bottom of your computer (possibly in the battery compartment) for the Windows Product Key label. If you can still read the key, you can make a new Windows disc.

You can use another computer to download the Windows 7 ISO from here  Then burn it to a disc using ImgBurn burn at the lowest write speed possible). You'll need the Product Key from the label on the bottom of your computer to install Windows. Then you'll need to go to your HP Driver Page to download your drivers. 

You'll have to go to your Pavilion a6010n's Driver Page and download your drivers and other software. I hope this information helps! Let me know the results when you get a chance 🙂

0 Kudos
ldoly Honor Student
Honor Student
5 3 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you. But I am running Vista Home on it. I have the product key number also . But I cant even get the computer to go to safe mode. I used the recovery discs last month with no problems. Only thing I did change was I used an external hard drive to play some movies on it.And that was playing ok also . The all of a sudden I just could not get it to reboot last week.It was running slow and not responding with firefox and other programs. I did use C Cleaner to check for errors in registery and ran  that.

0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
2,787 2,628 114 526
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Oh I see. No worries, I'll provide you with a link to the Windows Vista site.

Before I do that though, I wanted to check to see if you had any files on the hard drive that you need to retrieve before writing over the current (corrupt) Windows installation? If you have any files you'd like to retrieve from the hard drive, you can use a LiveCD to access and transfer those files over to a USB flash drive or external hard drive. You'll want to do that before using your new Vista disc and reinstalling Vista onto the hard drive. Here are the steps for using a LiveCD to retrieve files from a hard drive that won't boot to Windows.

Do not proceed until you have transferred any files you would like to back up, over to a USB flash drive or external hard drive using the above instructions. 

The author of the site chose to keep the three files separate rather than combining them into ISO form, but it is simple to do. There are very good instructions on the site for combining them using ImgBurn. Make sure you download the three 64-Bit files rather than the 32-Bit. 

Windows Vista SP1 64-Bit

ldoly Honor Student
Honor Student
5 3 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ok thank you so much for your help. I will try this a little later. I will let you now the outcome. Again thanks for your time.
0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
2,787 2,628 114 526
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Anytime! Let me know if you run into any issues! I'll keep an eye out for your reply 🙂

0 Kudos
ldoly Honor Student
Honor Student
5 3 0 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ok I have downloaded those files on my other computer and am going to burn them to a DVD.I presume after that you want me to start up the Vista computer with that burned disc ?
0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
2,787 2,628 114 526
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I just need to double-check. I apologize for the redundancy, but have you already saved any files from the hard drive? (That is, if you had any files you wanted to save?)

If you've already transferred old files over to an external hard drive OR you aren't concerned with anything that was on the Vista computer's hard drive, then yes, you'll want to follow these steps.

1. Power on the Vista computer, insert the new Vista disc.

2. Press and hold the power button to shut it down.

3. Press the Power button again to turn it back on. Immediately start tapping F9 repeatedly, until you get a Boot Options/Order Menu.

4. Choose the Internal CD/DVD ROM Drive

5. Allow a few minutes for the Installation to load from the disc.

The installation should take about 30-45 minutes. Stay near the computer if possible, because it will ask you to click Next a couple of times. Then you'll go through Setup. Have the product key handy.

Once you get through Vista Setup, you'll need to go to your HP Driver Page (as I mentioned a few posts ago) to download your drivers. Wireless may not work immediately. You may have to use an Ethernet cable plugged directly into your router for internet access. If you have any questions about which drivers to install, let me know. You'll have lots of Windows Updates to install as that ISO image will only include Service Pack 1. 

Let me know how it goes 🙂

0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
2,787 2,628 114 526
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Any luck with those steps?

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation