Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Student
Message 1 of 13 (6,831 Views)

SD Card reader not working

I have an HP Pavilion p7-1154 with multiple memory card readers built into the tower.  It has worked well until about a week ago.  Now when I put a card into the reader, I get a message stating that the card needs to be foramatted before it can be read.  I have tried multiple cards that worked fine just two weeks ago and I get the same message.  Is there any way to fix this?

0 Kudos
Honor Student
Message 2 of 13 (6,824 Views)

Re: SD Card reader not working

There is two possibilities. 1) Slean all the card readers.  2) Update all the drivers from the manufacturers website(S). 

Honor Student
Message 3 of 13 (6,424 Views)

Re: SD Card reader not working. I have a DV6 laptop

my card reader always worked fine then one day it stopped working as if it wasn't even there. No error report, no update anything. JUST NOTHING. I am not computer savvy so if someone has a potential fix please leave no step unsaid. One thing I'd heard was to update driver. I have no idea how to do that or what it means. Any help greatly appreciated

Distinguished Professor
Message 4 of 13 (6,398 Views)

Hi,

Check internal cable connections to the card reader and the mainboard. They could have come loose, reseat the connections.

I had that happen to me once. The connection to the card reader was loose. I had to pull the DVD drive out to get to the connector.

Jaco

Honor Student
Message 5 of 13 (6,389 Views)

thanks, I'll check that out.

Distinguished Professor
Message 6 of 13 (6,384 Views)

Hello philb8347,

Your card reader has stopped working.

Go into device manager and uninstall the card reader, it should be listed as IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. Restart the computer.

This will uninstall and reinstall the driver for the card reader.

Here is a link to device manager.

Let me know how everything goes.

Have a good day.

Honor Student
Message 7 of 13 (6,368 Views)

Hi, gave it a shot. didn't work. oddly enough I got a message on my screen that said SD card slot updated and ready to use and not only did it still not work but my two USB 3.0 slots on the left side of the computer where the SD card slot happens to be stopped working as well. I was able to download the USB drives so they're back to normal but this SD card thing is seriously absurd. At this point, I've been reading that a lot of HP laptops have the same problem; So, I think I'll just stick to my San Disk card reader. Never fails me. Only thing that bugs me is I paid for a built in card readerv as part of the price of the computer and I HATE things that don't work when they should, especially if they used to. Appreciate your answering me, though.

Regards,

Phil 

Honor Student
Message 8 of 13 (6,070 Views)

This is an old topic, but I am having the same issue and no luck with any of the solutions so far. My father and I both bought different brands of HP Pavillion desktops from Sam's Club (came in bundle). Neither of our computers have working SD card readers and never have- we have tried multiple types of SD cards but nothing works. Firmware is up-to-date, and reinstalling the driver does not seem to help. 

this is the model I have: 

HP Pavilion p7-1257cb Desktop, Windows 7

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c03175754&prodSeriesId=518702...

Distinguished Professor
Message 9 of 13 (6,059 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi

Device Manager should look like this (image below) when using Win 7. The card reader drives are contained within portable devices: Note, drives F,G. H, and I are in proper working order on this system and all connections are secure.

Check Device manager. If the drives appear as below then you have a hardware issue.

1. The card reader is faulty, or

2. Check connection to the mainboard and to the device which is located behind the front bezel.

If you have a driver issue it will be shown in device manager (exclamation point or a triangle indicating there is a problem). Try solving this issue by uninstalling all card reader drives and then reboot the system. Win 7 should find the drivers and reinstall them.

Jaco

Device manager.PNG

Honor Student
Message 10 of 13 (5,997 Views)

Screenshot 2013-10-16 17.51.24.png

Sorry that is has been a while since responding --thank you for your response.

I uninstalled the drivers form my portable devices and my IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. I allowed the computer to reinstall these drivers and rebooted computer. This is what my device manager looks like now. The Portable device inputs are working, but they have the error message shown above-and their name changed to this WPD filesystem volume thing.

The SD card slot does not work still. I will have to open up the computer soon to look at that connection, but I find it unlikely it would be disconnected. The light goes son when I put a card into the slot. Also, this problem happened out of box, but I didn't test the SD slot until far later. 

Do you have any other suggestions driver/software related before I open up the machine? 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation