Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Student
Message 1 of 3 (1,624 Views)

SD card slot problems on hp m8400f

I'm having troubles with the combined SD/mini/MMC/RS/Plus/Mobile card slot reading my SD card.  It will recognize the card the first time I insert it after turning on the computer, but after doing the safe removal and taking out the card, it won't recognize the card again unless I restart the computer.  When I put the SD card in the slot without restarting, nothing at all happens except that the green LED by the slot comes on.  In addition, if I restart the computer so that the card actually reads, when I do the "safely remove," the message that pops up saying that I can safely remove it calls it a USB device instead of an SD card.  None of the other computers or devices I use have either of these problems.  Anyway, I would at least like to get it so that I can use the card more than once without restarting.

Thanks,

Luke

0 Kudos
Associate Professor
Message 2 of 3 (1,601 Views)

Re: SD card slot problems on hp m8400f

It's just a buggy board.  Also could be caused by a funky card reader.  You could swap the card reader to another PC and retest.  If okay, then the MB is at fault.  BIOS update may fix a buggy board.  Course don't hold your breath cause this is an OEM HP board.
Tutor
Message 3 of 3 (1,572 Views)

Re: SD card slot problems on hp m8400f

[ Edited ]

Hi fireonhigh,

Perform the following steps and check if the issue is resolved or not.

• Unplug all USB devices connected to the computer. If you are using a USB mouse and keyboard, temporarily
    use PS/2 devices if available, otherwise leave them connected.Click Start , right-click Computer, and select Properties .
  • Click Device Manager.
  • Click the ( + ) plus sign next to the Universal Serial Bus Controllers.
  • Select USB Root Hub,and then click Uninstall icon. Continue until all USB Root Hubs are removed.
  • Close Device Manager and restart the computer.

For more info related to USB device troubleshooting you may visit the following website:

Vista:HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Troubleshooting USB Connections in Windows Vista

XP:HP Notebook PCs - USB Device Troubleshooting in Microsoft Windows 98, Me and XP

- an HP employee expressing his own opinion, not HPs.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation