cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
5 3 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Solved!

SSM BIOS Deployment Ends Sometimes Fails With Error 0x642

HP Recommended

Good morning,

I am currently trying to use the SSM software to deploy a BIOS update to my 300 HP Folio 9470m and am running into an intermittent problem.  The problem I am seeing is that sometimes the deployment will fail with a 0x642 dependency error. I have not been able to determine a reason for the failure, and the same package deployment will work on a different laptop.

The only consistency I have been able to reproduce is that if the install fails the first time, it will fail every other time on that particular laptop.

I have included log files from a successful and unsuccessful deployment.  I have confirmed that it does not appear to be an issue with using the incorrect BIOS password, because I can set the password to the one specified when I created the deployment database and it will still sometimes fail.

Let me know if I can provide any additional information.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I really would like to be able to use this software as it would make  my job managing these laptops a whole lot easier.

Thanks,

Raymond Northcott

Log file from successful deployment:            https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By0fDHxxVEc6SHhZb0VDRVRMRWc/edit?usp=sharing

Log file from unsuccessful deployment:        https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By0fDHxxVEc6NXdEOTV6bnJ3TGc/edit?usp=sharing

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 4
103 99 4 4
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I know it is late but I have only seen this post today. 

The team responsible for SSM does not monitor this forum.

According to the logs you have posted, you are using SSM version 2.14 A8.

Your version pre-dates the design and production of the 9470 folio by approximately 3 years.

There have been many changes to SSM since 2.14.

Please update to the latest version.

You can ask questions about SSM and other client management tools in the HP PC Client Management Community forum.

HP PC Client Management Community forum

The pc client management discussion board is focused on the following topics but is not exclusive to them:

HP Client Catalog

The HP Client Catalog for Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager products is used in the deployment of HP software updates (SoftPaqs) to HP commercial PCs in a Microsoft System Center environment.

HP Driver Packs

HP Driver Packs contain the necessary Microsoft Windows drivers required

to support HP hardware platform(s) listed in each of the driver pack’s release notes.

HP Client Integration Kit

The HP Client Integration Kit ( HP CIK ) is a plug-in for Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager.

HP BIOS Configuration Utility

The HP BIOS Configuration Utility ( HP BCU ) provides the ability to manage BIOS settings on HP supported desktop, workstation and notebook computers.

HP System Software Manager

The HP System Software Manager ( HP SSM ) is a utility for updating BIOS and device drivers on your networked PCs.

These tools and more can be found at www.hp.com/go/clientmanagement

Look in the Resources menu for items such as the HP CMS Download Library,  HP CMS Whitepapers or HP Driver Packs.

The HP CMS Download Library contains the latest release version of SSM.

HP CMS Download Library

If you have questions about SSM or any of the other utilities listed, this is the best forum to find answers.

thanks,

Richard
I work for HP but am not a company spokesperson.  Participation in the community forums is voluntary.

Highlighted
Author
5 3 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks so much for your help.  Updating the version of SSM did the trick.

Raymond Northcott

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation