Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HPE 580t
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I am a victim of one of those Windows support scam.  The Hacker put a syskey password on my computer.  I tried to do system recovery but it doesn't work .  I did not any do any back up or system recovery points.  I am not very technology savvy but I can follow instructions. 

Any help will be appreciated to get my computer back and running again.

My operating system is Windows 7 but I upgraded to Windows 10.  I use a LAN connection

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Greetings @G1EDDE,

Welcome to HP Forums and Thanks for the post. 

I understand that you are facing an issue with your computer not booting to the desktop. Don't worry, I will be glad to assist you. 

Would it be possible to share a screenshot/photo of the password error?

Have you run a diagnostics on your computer?

Are you able to boot the computer to recovery manager?

You can refer to this HP Article for assistance in resetting the password for your computer. Also, disconnect the network cable during login and check if you are able to login to the computer. 

Recommend you to make run an extensive test on your computer to negate any hardware issues. 

To enter system diagnostics, please keep tapping F2 or ESC on startup repeatedly. 

Run an extensive system test on your computer. Refer to this HP Article for assistance.

Once the system test passes. Shut down the computer, disconnect all the cables, wait for a minute. 

Connect only the monitor, power and the keyboard, turn the computer ON and keep tapping ESC or F11 on startup. 

This should take the computer to the Recovery manager or to a Startup menu from where you can select Recovery manager. 

If the computer boots to the recovery manager, please select troubleshoot and then select system restore to a previous date when the computer was working fine. 

Refer to this HP Article for assistance. 

Keep me posted. 

If the information I've provided was helpful,

Please give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for the prompt reply.  Here's the error that I was getting.  Here's the error that I was getting.

syskey error.PNG

HP Recommended

Hi @G1EDDE,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

As I understand there is a message - "Startup Password on your screen and you need assistance with the same,

You would have to contact HP phone support for a hardware service as the motherboard may require a tattoo/Bios Flash.

Any other way of unlocking the BIOS is not authorized by HP.

Keep me posted,

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below,

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum. Have a great day!

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.