cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
TaraLotstein Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Scam Call?

Guy with stong accent on line now, who says he's from BGEL Technology (Wilmington, DE) and that hackers have gotten ahold of my IP address. He says he can't call back, and that this is the only opportunity I have to get rid of the hackers.

He wants me to hold down the Windows Key and Ctrl simultaneously, which will bring up the Run screen. I'm suspicious, so I went to Google and found your forum. Any suggestions, aside from hanging up? Considering letting a friend's 2 year old talk to him. Nevermind, he just hung up. Who can I report this to? Thank you.

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Grad Student Grad Student
Grad Student
168 160 21 43
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Scam Call?

Hello TeraLotstein,

Unless you have a service contract with this firm, or in any way have an affiliation with this firm, then this is definitely a scam.

Good thing you did not run any Run commands that they asked you to do, it would most definitely  have put your system at risk.
I suspect what they want you to do is to allow them to gain access to your system remotely, and through that malicious software on your computer.

If you have their number, you could report it to your local authorities.

Best regards,
Kyte

I work on behalf of HP.
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Scam Call?

Hi Kyte,

Thank you for your quick reply! No, I have no affiliation with them, whatsoever, and the number they called me from appeared as a 4-digit one on my phone screen. 

If they call again, I'll hang up. 

0 Kudos
Grad Student
168 160 21 43
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Scam Call?

Hello again,

Good to hear that they did not get you to do what they wanted.
Regarding their 4-digit phone number. This is probably due to them spoofing their actual phone number.

Best regards,
Kyte

I work on behalf of HP.
0 Kudos
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Scam Call?

Hello again,

I'm not so tech savvy, and don't know exactly what you said, but I'm guessing they used a sophisticated version of *67 to call; though they didn't say how they received my number in the first place...

0 Kudos
Grad Student
168 160 21 43
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Scam Call?

It's anyones guess where they got your number from, however it could perhaps just be at random.
If you have your email address written in a public place in context with your phone number, it could also likely be from there.

One thing to keep in mind is that they are unfortunately most of the time good at what they do, and can seem to know details about you and your computer, but most of the time what they tell you would be something that most people can identify themselfes with.

Best regards,
Kyte

I work on behalf of HP.
0 Kudos
skyrocketer Tutor
Tutor
5 5 0 3
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Scam Call?

Sounds like a scam from the beginning. Did you get the phone number?
By the way, thanks for the heads up!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
skyrocketer Tutor
Tutor
5 5 0 3
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Scam Call?

Well, you can pull jokes on the scammer but that might only annoy them and they might end up calling you all the more out of spite. What you should do is report the phone number to http://www.callercenter.com for phone harassment and warn others. Make an online complaint with the FTC, too, and have the scammers investigated.
Retired SiobhanF
Retired
1,190 829 30 219
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Scam Call?

Scamming is a really big business.

Please be careful.

Scammers are like Trojan horses. There isn't anything wrong with your PC, but they try to tell you there is to get you to let them in.

If someone calls you and wants access to your system, say NO!

Here is an interesting article on this topic.

I worked for HP.
nposey34 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Scam Call?

I just had a call that said "no caller ID"....they said they were from HP Support and wanted me to download supremocontrol or something like that....I talked with them a few minutes, became suspicious and hung up....anyone else had a call like this?   they had a heavy accent I could barely understand

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation