cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher
117 88 2 0
Message 91 of 97
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Scheduling System Protection (Backup/Restore Points)

Hi David

The task did not run.  It "could not find the specified file".

2011-04-28-13 History.JPG

I then successfully ran the .vbs "manually" from Program Files. So we know it works from that location. 

I also noticed that the path was shown as "C:\Program Files\Instant_Restore_Point\Instant_Restore_Point.vbs".  In the past, when copying folders/files to an external hard-drive, "C:\JAR_HPE-110t\ " (or similar) was included in the count for max # of characters allowed in path.  Could that be significant here?  Of course, that's just a wild guess on my part.

I'm off now to a meeting tonight.  I'm sure I won't be home again until it's too late to reply again to you tonight.

Thanks again.

Jim

0 Kudos
Provost
Provost
49520 49492 9892 16560
Message 92 of 97
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi Jim,

Follow this procedure, just to double check the path the task is using.

Open Task Scheduler and double click the task that should run the script.  Click the Action tab and then click Edit.  Click the Browse button and now browse all the way to the actual script.  Left click the script once to highlight it and then click Open.  Now click Ok and then Ok again.

Try running the task now and see if you still get the "could not find the specified file" error.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

Teacher
Teacher
117 88 2 0
Message 93 of 97
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi David,

It appears to be working now.  I tested several scenarios . . . schedule & I continue working on other tasks . . . schedule & let the computer go to sleep on its own . . . schedule & induce sleep via Fn+F2.  All ran successfully.

Thanks again for all your work, explanations & perseverance.

Jim

0 Kudos
Provost
Provost
49520 49492 9892 16560
Message 94 of 97
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi Jim,

You're welcome.

It's really good to hear the task is working correctly now - I couldn't see anything wrong with the original path the task was using in one of the screenshots you uploaded, but I obviously missed something :generic:

Good talking to you and all the best,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

haaba01 Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 95 of 97
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Oh my goodness, I read every single page and felt his pain.  I'm not a computer geek but I think all he needed to do is go into msconfig and untick the Norton Automatic Online Backups and prevent them from running in the background.  Which I believe conflicts with the MS system restores.  Just my 2 cents.

0 Kudos
tim-r Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 96 of 97
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Is there a confirmed connection between the Support Assistant and the HPSF install?

I am running an HP machine (Pavillion dv7 w/ Windows 7 Ultimate) with the HP Support assistant running.  I found my machine in a non-functional state, running the Windows troubleshooter.  After having it search and repair what it could, Windows finally came up but the CPU was running 70-80% fluctuating rapidly.  After unsuccessfully rebooting to resolve the issue, I checked the System Restore point list to find the "HPSF Restore Point" mentioned earlier.

Rolling the  system back to this point brought the CPU back to reasonable levels.

Should I kill the Support Assistant to prevent the update?

Thanks...

tr

0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
3551 3391 279 525
Message 97 of 97
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hello tim-r,

I wouldn't say there is a confirmed connection between the Support Assistant and the HPSF install (although admitingly still reading through this thread and trying to grasp everything)

I would recommend in your case to disable the update and let the system run for a bit. If you find after a while that the system is behaving normal then you can somewhat say that the HPSF install was the culprit. For added testing you can re-enable the update to install again to see if it blows back up to better understand and give clear conformation one way or another.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have helped you in any way click the Kudos button to say Thanks.
The community works together, click Accept as Solution on the post that solves your issue for other members of the community to benefit from the solution.
- Friendship is magical.
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation