cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
KLawson Tutor
Tutor
14 10 0 0
Message 21 of 27
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

SecureBoot isn't configured correctly (Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center)

Big Dave,

How does one go about 'reloading the HP keys'?  I see an option to Clear the Keys and an option regarding HP or Custom Keys.  Are they stored somewhere on the system or does HP have to provide the keys?

0 Kudos
Provost
Provost
29,934 27,539 1,807 5,033
Message 22 of 27
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi KLawson,

After booting into the bios then go to System Configuration and then Boot Options.   You should see a screen similar to the below image:

BIOS load keys.jpg

HP Photosmart 6520
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 2K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
0 Kudos
KLawson Tutor
Tutor
14 10 0 0
Message 23 of 27
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Big Dave

Thank you for the reply.  This makes perfect sense.  However, my BIOS on an H8-1360T doesn't look like this.  I can find the option to Clear the Hardware Keys but nothing to Reload Factory Keys.  What happens if you want to add another video card or replace the video card that is in the system?  How do the keys get loaded for that new hardware device?

Part of the reason I'm asking is when I upgraded BIOS and attempted to implement SecureBoot I could not Boot to BIOS after enabling secure boot and also found an event in event log stating that the AMD Radeon HD 7500 card had been deleted.  I'm still able to use the card fine in Windows and with the BIOS without SecureBoot but I'm trying to understand why the video card got deleted and if it has anything to do with the keys being messed up.

Thanks again for your feedback!

0 Kudos
Provost
Provost
Message 24 of 27
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi KLawson,

The HP H8-1360T was produced in July 2011 well before the bios for Windows 8 was released. (estimated around mid-October 2012 for most HP PCs).  I don't see a bios update posted for the H8-1360t and I wouldn't expect to see one released.  Perhaps you graded something other than the bios

You will probably need to use the Microsoft patch to eliminate the message. Remove Windows 8.1 watermark

HP Photosmart 6520
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 2K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
0 Kudos
KLawson Tutor
Tutor
14 10 0 0
Message 25 of 27
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hey Big_Dave,

You are correct on the first release date of the H8-1360T but I bought the machine in July 2012 with the express intention of upgrading to Windows 8 - in fact I installed the Preview on the machine shortly after I received it.  In the first part of this thread, a BIOS upgrade was provided by an HP employee - here is the link: http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp61501-62000/sp61511.exe.  I applied this upgrade to the BIOS.  After confirming that computer functions were fully operable I used the upgraded BIOS to enable Secure Boot.  When the PC rebooted, there was 6 beeps and the power light flashed 6 times with NO post video available but the PC continued to boot and Windows 8.1 came up fully operational and the Secure Boot watermark was gone.  So I was able to turn on Secure Boot and Windows worked correctly.

According to HP BIOS error codes, the errors received indicating something was wrong with the video card.  The only problem with the machine at this point that I got error codes during the boot process and I could not reenter the BIOS to make changes.  I re-flashed the BIOS to reset defaults and regained control - errors gone but the water mark was back.  I have since applied the Microsoft patch to properly remove the WaterMark.

It appears that the AMD Radeon HD 7500 is an OEM version provided by HP.  Given the error messages it appears that the video card is not fully compliant with UEFI (was was installed on the machine when I received it) or Secure Boot although Windows 8.1 is fully functional.  What I was attempting to understand is 1) did I do something that caused the keys for the video card to be lost during the BIOS upgrade and if so how can I reset those keys and 2) how are keys managed in a properly functioning machine if you have to replace or add another video card?

Thank you for your comments.  They are appreciated.

0 Kudos
Provost
Provost
Message 26 of 27
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi KLawson,

Review this posted information by Microsoft on platform keys when Secure Boot is activated.

Secure Boot has lots of entanglements and few benefits.

If the PC being used is in UEFI mode and the video card is not fully UEFI compliant then the PC may not boot depending on the functionality of the Compatibility Support Module. HP does not give the user optional selections (very limited) with how the CSM will function compared with enthusiast level motherboards.

BTW -- the bios update that you referenced was never directly published on the product support site.  If it was, then HP pulled it for some reason.

HP Photosmart 6520
0 Kudos
Highlighted
KLawson Tutor
Tutor
14 10 0 0
Message 27 of 27
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi Big_Dave,

Thank you for the article on platform keys.  I agree with you that Secure Boot has a lot of entanglements.  Microsoft's articles talk about the need for providing additional Security for the PC during the boot process.  I don't know what the statistics show in terms of number of such events that have occurred but it would appear to me a tremendous effort has been spent for a minimal problem.  Leave that as it may, it appears that as soon as an upgrade is needed or a part replaced that the whole Secure Boot ecosystem is put out of commission.  I don't think the PC manufacturer is positioned to restore keys or update hardware to provide new keys.

For whatever reason it appears that UEFI GOP support on this particular computer is incomplete and it sounds unlikely to ever be resolved.  So I guess the lesson here is to wait until 3 to 6 months after a new OS is released before buying a PC.

Thank you again for your informative replies.

Regards

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation