cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
fishrgal1244
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Should I return this computer now. Battery life 2-3.5 hours at best.

HP Notebook - 17-yoo1cy
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I purchased this Notebook on Dec 6, 2016 and the battery will only last 2 hours. When I have not been able to charge the battery and it went completely dead, it takes several hours to recharge (happened twice). It has lasted for nearly 4 hours once, but I wasn't using it and it was in sleep or hibernating. I have set it up with HP recommended power saving settings. 

Previously, the battery has been on the AC charging for 2.5 hours and I tried to take it to another room and as soon as I disconnected the AC, it shut down. The battery checks out fine on the HP Support Assistant battery check. Right now it has been on the AC charging for just over 1 hour and it has 42% on the battery.

I don't want a laptop that I have to have AC to use, so if this is typical battery life, I will spend more money and get a Dell since I have a relative that works there and says theirs will last hours without a charge.

It still has 11 months warranty of course since it is brand new and QVC will take it back. 

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Level 15
Level 15
18,257 18,202 1,705 3,998
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Should I return this computer now. Battery life 2-3.5 hours at best.

fishrgal1244

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Could be any of the following:

1) Faulty battery that will not keep a charge

2) Faultr charger that is not sending enough power to the battery

3) Faulty charging circuit in the PC that is shutting off the charger before the battery is charged

Don't mean to be discouraging, but if you CAN take this back at no charge, then you should do it -- and see if they will give you a replacement.  However if you DO get a replacement, CONFIRM that you get a new warranty with it, not the remained of the warranty on this unit.

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation