Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Slimline s5-1310t
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

I have a HP slimline s5-1310t and it fails to boot up.  I get the HP logo and then Processor type and speed and memory sizes when I press F10.  Sometimes I can get to the setup menu if I keep pressing F10 but windows 7 never loads.  From the bios I ran DPS self test and it says "Test failed Drive replacement Recommended"  

One time I was able to get into Safe Mode but when it loaded I could not run anything and the screen was showing the hour glass all the time so I couldnt copy my files to my USB flash which is my main goal at this point. 

Thanks for any help in advance.

Paul

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

If the hard drive has failed, then you need to replace the hard drive and reinstall the operating system.

The bad news is that if the hard disk has failed to the point where copying data is not possible, then it is likely that the data is corrupt and lost.

Is the desktop PC still in warranty?

Check your warranty status Here.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply Erico.  I checked and the warranty has expired.  

One thing that is very weird is that I was able to get into windows safe mode somehow.  After I get the processor and freq information page I pressed F10 but eventually after 4-5 minutes it gets into Setup Utility page when I did DPS test and got a fail.  One time after I exited the Setup Utility it put me into Windows Safe Mode.  But everything was slow and it took a long time to load all the windows files.  Once the windows with icons came up with Safe Mode logo in the corner, I tried to launch file explorer to look at the files but it would just sit there with hourglass simbol.  After few of these long pauses it rebooted to the proceesor and freq info screen again.   I have not been able to get into safe mode again.  Do you know how I can repeat that or if my HDD is total fail?  Wondering how it loaded the windows to get into safe mode then.  

thanks,

Paul.

HP Recommended

Eventually it will just fail to boot. Unplug it until you have replaced the hard disk with a new one. You can also have it done at a PC repair shop.

If you have not been occasionally saving the data that was on the drive to an external media, it is too late.

You need to locate your recovery media. 

It is time to purchase a new 2.5" SATA600 hard disk or a 2.5" SATA SSD (256GB or higher capacity0.

Remove the failed hard disk, install the new one and perform a factory image recovery.

That will get your desktop PC back to working condition.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.