cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Marblehead99
Level 1
5 4 0 1
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Solved - Windows 7 upgrade issues (BSODs) HP Slimline s3100e - Disable the ViXS PureTV tuner card

HP Recommended

Just an FYI in case this helps anyone else upgrading their Pavilion to Windows 7 . . .

I had installed and tested Windows 7 RC2 without any issues on my HP Slimline s3100e (in a dual boot configuration), and being somewhat experience, I felt pretty confident that the install would be straightforward and uneventful.

After backing up my files via Windows Easy Transfer (which works very well if you haven't tried it yet - just save to an external hard drive) and as added insurance, a full backup image to an external hard drive using Acronis, I proceeded to perform a Windows 7 upgrade.

The upgrade seemingly went well

• But I quickly I started experiencing some intermittent freeze ups where the computer became totally unresponsive, requiring a forced power-down/reboot.
  • When the computer wasn't locking up, I noticed while applying some Windows 7 updates requiring a reboot that the shutdown process was taking forever - maybe 10 minutes or more.
  • Soon I experienced a few BSODs (Blue Screens of Death) and took note of the error message at the top " DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE." Typically BSODs relate to hardware and drive issues.

So with backups and Easy Transfer in hand, I decided to wipe the hard drive clean and do a clean install.

• Windows 7 RC2 worked fine installed that way in a separate partition and maybe some legacy settings or driver from Vista was causing the conflict.
  • The clean install seemed to go well until its first full bootup when a dialog box popped up indicating Windows had recovered from a serious error. This was before and Windows Updates were applied, any programs reinstalled or the Easy Transfer files and settings had been restored.
  • So doing the clean install vs. an upgrade of Windows 7 made no difference as far as resolving the issue.
  • My first thought was what hardware on this system was unique and might be the source of the conflict - and I figured it could be the TV Tuner card.
  • Without getting too technical, I was able to confirm that there was an issue with xcbdaV.sys, which pointed to the ViXS PureTV-U 48A3 (NTSC/ATSC Combo) that came with my s3100e.

The fix:

• Well at least for now, I simply disabled the ViXS PureTV-U 48A3 TV tuner card in device manager (located under Sound, video and game controllers).
  • The freeze ups, slow shutdowns and BSODs immediately stopped and I have had zero issues the past few days.
  • Since there is not a Windows 7 option for Support and Drivers currently for my S3100e, I will patiently wait a bit and see if this does eventually become an option for this and similar 2 year old HP Pavilion PCs. My initial search for a Win7 driver direct from the card manufacturer came up empty. I have several Pavilion m8000n PCs that do not have Windows 7 drivers listed yet either, though they do have a different TV Tuner card (Hauppauge) that looks like it might be supported via Windows Update .

Hopefully this helps someone else encountering similar issues.

3 REPLIES 3
PC_Tester
Level 7
1,475 1,465 35 112
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

What driver version is loaded on the tuner? If you opt to uninstall the driver from Device Manager (opt to [  ] Delete the driver software for this device, reboot, does it pick up an inbox driver or a driver on Windows Update?

windowsupdate.microsoft.com

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Marblehead99
Author
Level 1
5 4 0 1
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'll proceed with that course (uninstall the driver) shortly and report the results.

I wanted to first be sure the system was stable even if it meant at least temporarily disabling the TV Tuner card and its media center functionality.

I've also been working on getting all apps and settings reinstalled/updated including iTunes, Office, printers, etc. - so far so good.

BTW - this is posted on the ViXS site (http://www.vixs.com/contact.htm😞

PC Tuner Card Driver Support Only Available From PC OEMs

ViXS Systems supplies advanced chipset solutions to companies in the Consumer Electronics and PC markets.  ViXS Systems does not design, manufacture or sell retail products, including PC Tuner Cards, and is therefore unable to respond to support requests for add-in board products.  If you have a question about drivers, installation, or support for your PC Tuner Card or a related product, please contact the retailer from whom you purchased the product or the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) that manufactured the product.  We recommend checking for driver updates on the websites of retailers and OEMs.

Marblehead99
Author
Level 1
5 4 0 1
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I uninstalled the native Windows 7 driver. Rescanned hardware and let Windows 7 reinstall the driver when the ViXs TV Tuner card was recognized. Tried to reboot and my shutdown problems resurfaced - took about 10 minutes to finally shut down.

Upon reboot, the now familiar error dialog box appeared. The actual message was "Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown." Viewing the details shows OS version 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3, with BCCode 9f and links to the minidump error file and an XML file. Clicking on the "Check for solution" button resulted in no solution being available at this time . . .

Back in device manager, the properties for the ViXS card lists the following:

Driver Provider: ViXS Systems Inc.

Driver Date: 9/15/2008

Driver Version: 6.0.129.0

Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows

Clicking further into driver details, the first file listed - C:\Windows\System32\drivers\BdaSup.sys - indicates the file version as 6.1.7600.16385 (win7_rtm.090713-1255).

At this point, I uninstalled the driver once more and tried going to Windows Update. No relevant update was available.

I will disable the card once again pending additional suggestions or a release of a Windows 7 updated driver from HP. Better to have a working PC without a TV tuner card than an unstable, unusable PC.

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation