cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 5
307 307 5 59
Message 11 of 28
Flag Post
HP Recommended
well, sorry. i knew u could get there from there.
All of my posts reflect my opinion only and not of HP.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 5
307 307 5 59
Message 12 of 28
Flag Post
HP Recommended

have u tried loading BIOS version 3.15 for the A7V8X-LA Motherboard BIOS Update?

if not :

go to www.hp.com/support

chose North america and english

then in the "for product box" type Compaq Presario SR1500NX Desktop PC

then click the small arrow to the right

choose "software &driver downloads"

choose windows xp

then scroll down the the BIOS update.

mabye this will work

All of my posts reflect my opinion only and not of HP.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
7 6 0 2
Message 13 of 28
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@nazcar4u wrote:

have u tried loading BIOS version 3.15 for the A7V8X-LA Motherboard BIOS Update?

Tried it just now.  Got an "incorrect update" or something like that.  Guess it's something specific to Compaq systems.

Something funny - someone came over the other day needing to use a computer.  I had to instruct him to hit the F2 key on the CPU fan error.  Took him a few tries. lol

Guess the solution to my lil problem is an elusive one...*sigh*

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
7 6 0 2
Message 14 of 28
Flag Post
HP Recommended

UGH...I just noticed, my thread is in the Notebook forum.  WOOPS. lol

How does one get a thread moved? :s

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
44,714 38,171 3,352 14,099
Message 15 of 28
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Have you tried F11 key? On some Pavilions with XP that key works to access BIOS setup with more advanced options and is actually what you needed to disable fan monitoring.It may still work with the later BIOS.

If not,I'm outa ideas.

Btw,most of us who have HP laptops also own HP desktops..but I'll get your thread moved.:)

Message Edited by CherylG on 12-28-2008 08:42 PM

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 16 of 28
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK, here's a down-and-dirty MSDOS hack:  Force your way into BIOS Setup by corrupting cmos storage and rebooting the computer.

On your desktop computer, you might remove your cmos battery (if possible) and wait a minute for it to discharge.  Or, there might be a jumper that next to the battery that can short it out.

Or, you can instead try writing invalid data to the cmos via the old MSDOS program DEBUG.  It's still there in Vista.  I don't know if Windows will honor your writes to cmos, or just emulate it (and discard your changes when you exit Debug).  But it's worth a try.

To get into Debug, first open the MSDOS shell via the Command Prompt window.  (You'll find the program Command Prompt in Start>All Programs>Accessories).

In the Command Prompt window (ie, the MSDOS shell), Type DEBUG .

Now pollute a cmos byte by typing this sequence of commands:

o 70 28  (then hit Enter)

o 71 FF  (then hit Enter)

That's o for "output".  It writes the value FF to indexed byte 28 of the RTC cmos storage.  The byte probably isn't FF to start with, so now it's polluted.  Next, reboot the computer, and hopefully, it will scream at you that cmos is invalid, flinging you directly into BIOS Setup.

If that doesn't work, try the same steps above, only use some different value in place of FF.  Say, use 00.

If that still doesn't corrupt cmos, then try editing and running these Assembly language lines in debug:

A

CLI

MOV AL, 28

OUT 70, AL

MOV AL, FF

OUT 71, AL

MOV AX, 4C00

INT 21

(Hit <Enter> after each line to begin the next.  Hit <Enter> twice at the last line to exit Assembly mode). 

Then type G <Enter>  (which means GO!). 

Now reboot the computer and see if it has corrupted cmos.  Like above, it that didn't work, replace FF here with 00 and try again.

I didn't verify these steps by polluting the cmos storage in my own computer.  :))

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
7 6 0 2
Message 17 of 28
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@egads wrote:

OK, here's a down-and-dirty MSDOS hack:

*sigh* ... I was hoping this would work, but...sadly, it didn't.

I unplugged the powercord from the computer.  Removed all the PSU connectors connected to the motherboard and the battery as well.  Left the computer that way for half an hour.  Reconnected everything as they were, then powered up.  NOTHING.  No BIOS setup asking to set the date, etc.  (And I still get the CPU Fan error.)  BUT, I did notice that the clock in Windows had changed (I'm assuming it set itself to the BIOS clock).

Also went ahead and did your debug thing as well.  Both suggestions twice.  (FF and 00)  Nothing.

😞

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 18 of 28
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I had the same problem with my hp Pavilion p6677c.  The virtualization is disabled in the BIOS by default, and I needed it on.  I had to open up the case and reset the BIOS password through a jumper on the motherboard (see product specifications on how to do this on yours).  After doing this I was able to enter the BIOS setup.  (Note I was not even asked for a password before!).

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 19 of 28
Flag Post
HP Recommended

How can use press F1 or any other key if you've unplugged your keboard?  Geo.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 20 of 28
Flag Post
HP Recommended
use a ps2 keyboard, escape key
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation