Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

I just updated my operating system and am looking for the audio drivers. I have soundmax, but can't seem to find any that work with windows 7 and my system.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I don't understand it either because like I said, I had 4 d530s and installed W7 on all of them and had no problem with the sound.

But for me, Windows Update found the sound drivers for me.

Also that Vista driver should have worked or the one from the dc7100.

Just try running the Windows Update utility from the programs menu and see if it finds the audio driver for you.

It may show up under the optional downloads section after the search is done.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi:

Be connected to the internet.

Go to the device manager and click on the multimedia audio controller needing drivers.

Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update Driver.

Select the automatic search and after several minutes, windows update should find, download and install the audio driver you need.

That is what I had to do with my dc7100 CMT which has the same audio chip as yours.

I had no idea you could run a 64 bit operating system on a d530.  I thought all of the processors could only run 32 bit.

I had 3 d530's and none of mine were 64 bit capable.

HP Recommended

I tried that, it says that windows could not find driver software for your device. 

HP Recommended

Hmm... it took windows 7 64 bit no problem. I have recently updated my ram though so that could have helped. My only problem has been my sound card. I've done a search and saw it for lenox so I was kinda hopefully there would be an update for mine too.

HP Recommended

Please post the hardware ID for the multimedia audio controller and I'll see what I can find...

Go to the device manager and click on the multimedia audio controller needing drivers.

Then click on the Details tab at the top of the Multimedia audio controller window.

Now you see a Property drop down list and it is defaulted to device description.

Drop down on that list and select the second item (hardware ID's).

Post the top string of characters you see in the window.

What processor do you have in your model.

I upgraded mine to the Pentium 4 3.2 GHz/800/512 specs below, and it is only a 32 bit capable processor...

http://ark.intel.com/products/27501/Intel-Pentium-4-Processor-supporting-HT-Technology-3_20-GHz-512K...

HP Recommended

Thank you

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24D5&SUBSYS_12BC103C&REV_02

right now I have p4 2.66 

I just upgraded my ram to the 3200 and found right away that took away alot of the problems I was having in XP in my everyday surfing.

I am waiting for my new processor to arrive which is  Intel Pentium 4 HT 3.2 GHz 512 800 Processor CPU- kinda excited about that so I hope I don't have any problems with windows 7 and that. Its faster so I would think if what I'm running now was okay with windows 7 it should be too.

HP Recommended

Wow.  I don't get that at all! 

My d530's all came standard with the P4 2.66/533/512 processors too.

Here is the specs for that one...again says only 32 bit capable.

http://ark.intel.com/products/27444/Intel-Pentium-4-Processor-2_66-GHz-512K-Cache-533-MHz-FSB

OK...now for the 64 bit driver...

As you have figured out, there is no W7 driver for that device, so we are going to think outside of the box and try an XP Pro 64 bit driver which I found from the HP xw4200 Workstation that has the same audio chip with the same hardware ID.

Here is what I want you to do...

Run this file.  If it installs the driver automatically, great.  If not...

Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update Driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option and at the bottom of that window, select the Let Me Pick from a List of Device Drivers on my computer.  You then click on Have Disk and browse to:  C:\SWSetup\sp30374\SMAXWDM\W2K_XP\smwdmCH5, and select the SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio device from the list and see if the driver installs that way.

Then reboot and you should have audio.

HP Recommended

I'm feeling a little stupid now... sorry my mistake, thought it was 64 bit but aparently not it's 32. Thought your amazement was at me being able to run windows 7, until your last post and I checked it out. Again so sorry. I tried that file anyways and no, it still wants it to be for windows 7.

HP Recommended

Yeah, I thought so!  :generic:

The file I gave you will only work on a 64 bit operating system.

Run this Vista audio file and the audio should work.  If not...

Just do the same thing with this file as you did above (but instead browse to sp36530\i386, etc) and you should be all set.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=316721&swItemId=vc_53028_1&swEnvOid=2094

HP Recommended

Well that went on with no problems but I still have no sound. Checked to make sure nothing was muted, checked my plugs. Shows on my computer that it is working properly. I don't know??

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.