cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Shawn1975 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Strange Color Scheme for Power Connectors on Power Supply of HP Envy Phoenix model 860-019

HP Envy 860-019
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello guys.  Can anyone help me understand the power supply on the HP Envy Phoenix 860-019?  The PCIE connector 6 pin connected to the GTX 960 has black and white wires.  Shouldn't there be yellow and black wires?  Yellow is usually 12 volt and black wires ground.  Is the 6 pin connected to my GTX 960  supplying a standard 75 watts of power or something else?  I want to install a GTX 1070 but the 6 pin wire colors are not the industry standard color scheme.  Also there is a 2 pin power connector with a white and black wire.  Usually a 6 pin and a 2 pin can be used together to connect into a 8 pin socket on a GTX 1070.  Will my connectors supply the needed power and connect properly because the color scheme on the wires make no sense.

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Dean
Dean
11043 11018 575 1624
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Strange Color Scheme for Power Connectors on Power Supply of HP Envy Phoenix model 860-019

Take a close look at the connectors at the end of the wires coming from the power-supply.

Some of the white plastic ends are "square", and some are "arched" -- beveled at the ends of one side:

---------

/                  \

|                   |              

-----------

and the "sockets" (on the motherboard and on the video-card) are similarly "non-square".

So, it's basically "idiot-proof" -- if a lead from the power-supply does not fit a socket, you're doing it wrong -- NO MATTER WHAT COLOUR THE WIRES ARE.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation