cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
ChuckC1812
Level 3
37 34 1 4
Message 1 of 17
Flag Post

Solved!

Successfully installed Windows 8 on HP TouchSmart IQ826t (INCLUDING REMOTE CONTROL)

HP Recommended

Here's the background.  I have a TouchSmart IQ826t running Windows 7.  I installed over it, (same partition), Windows 8 RTM using a DVD.  The installation went without a hitch and Windows 8 installed.  I had two disappointments: 1) the touch capability was limited in that it was very difficult to swipe from the side screen and the only way to scroll left to right was to use the scroll bar at the very bottom of the screen.  2). The TV turner doesn't work but I'm hopeful that it will on Oct 26 when Microsoft releases the Media Pack.

So, the issue I kept working on was the touch functionality.  I came across a HP update that I missed for Windows 7 called, "NextWindow 1950 Touch Screen Driver Update" taht was to improve touch response near the edges of the screen and resolved a sensitivity issue at the top right corner of the screen.  I downloaded it, (sp49787.exe), and attempted to install it.  It would not install.  However, the "NextWindow 1950" portion of the title was a clue.  I had been looking on the NextWindow site for the past week and I remember seeing a Windows 8 Touch Screen driver on their website: http://www.nextwindow.com/nextwindow_support/Windows_8_Touch_Screen_Driver.html

I took a chance and downloaded it.  Before trying to install it, I created a new system restore point just in case and then installed it.  The installation took maybe about 4 - 5 minutes but it reported back that it was successful.  Without rebooting, I checked the touch capability and WOW, it now operates just like my Windows 7.5 phone with full scrolling left and right as well as perfect swiping from the side of the screen!  Just to be sure, I rebooted and everything works great!  So, it looks like the driver on the link above is the solution at least for my model.

Chuck

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChuckC1812
Author
Level 3
37 34 1 4
Message 12 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I found how to get the HP Remote Control to work with my IQ826t! I was reading something and it reminded me that I had never gone through the list of Services in this computer. I found a service that was off called, "Human Interface Device Access". I changed the properties of it from Manual to Automatic. Rebooted and WOW, the remote will now control the Volume, Mute and the other functions it was ignoring. NOTE: Before I tried this service I also found a service called "HP Software Framework". It was manual as well. I changed this to Automatic - Delayed Start, however I don't think this has anything to do with the issue. Try the Human Interface service first. I've rebooted several times and the Remote Control for the TV is still working. YEA!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
16 REPLIES 16
MrHtml
5 5 0 0
Message 2 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Hi Chuck, excellent, I have also tried this driver for my IQ826t, creating a restore point just in case, and all windows 8 functionality on my touch is working. Thanks for posting the information.

Rich
0 Kudos
ChuckC1812
Author
Level 3
37 34 1 4
Message 3 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Rich, I'm glad it worked for you.  The only issue I still have is the remote for the TV only partially works, sometimes.  It can start the TV functionality but only occassionally will it be able to change the volume.  It's really wierd.  When I can change the volume, it will work for several days.  Then, without any reboots, it stops being able to change the volume.  I'd be interested in hearing about your experiences with the remote and volume control.

Chuck

0 Kudos
MrHtml
5 5 0 0
Message 4 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Chuck, I will need to try the remote for TV. I actually used it before when I first received the PC a few years ago but stopped since I was not receiving all the channels I wanted to watch, but today with all the internet selection, it maybe worth it again. What application are you using now on Windows 8 for TV using the remote ? When I use the remote for the Windows Media Player, Music only right now, the volume works on the remote, but have not explored anything further then that, since I was just working on setting up my applications, etc.. right now for work. I had just upgraded the touchsmart the other day, and had been disappointed about the limited touch function, after already having it before with Windows 7, but with the drivers you mentioned, that allievated that problem, so very pleased now the way everything has been working.

Rich

0 Kudos
ChuckC1812
Author
Level 3
37 34 1 4
Message 5 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Rich,

I'm using the HP Remote Solution application that worked with Windows 7.  I changed the compatibility setting today FROM Windows 8 TO Windows 7 and I said, "Run as Administrator".  The volume still doesn't change.  It's interesting that the remotes cursor works and you can change the channel, you just can't change the volume consistently.  What's your experience?

Chuck

0 Kudos
MrHtml
5 5 0 0
Message 6 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Chuck,

HP Remote Solution is not installed on my system. I've been using Windows Media Center, and from what I can tell the remote works, volume, mute, play, pause, stop, etc. I've brought up music through the Media Center and so far the remote works with it. I don't currently have live TV setup with the Media Center, since I need to run a coax cable to my system. Isn't HP Remote Solution used to communicate between two systems ? How are you using that for TV ?  Was looking around for the HP Remote Solution, but only saw a Windows 7 version, so will look around more to see if HP has the windows 8 version. Is there a description somewhere that explains how to use the HP Remote Solution.

Rich

0 Kudos
ChuckC1812
Author
Level 3
37 34 1 4
Message 7 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Rich, I thought you were on to something so I renamed the folder where the Remote Solution application was contained, rebooted and the volume worked.  I then said, let me reboot again because sometimes on reboots, the volumen would work.  After the reboot I tested the volume again and it DID NOT work.  There is something that allows it to work certain time and not other times.  I don't know if something isn't getting loaded in the same sequence each time or what.  Very puzzling.

Chuck

0 Kudos
MrHtml
5 5 0 0
Message 8 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Chuck,

It almost sounds like you have a bad driver. Had something similar happen with my Blue-Ray player, where it would be there some days, and others it would disappear, until I updated the drivers.

Rich

0 Kudos
ChuckC1812
Author
Level 3
37 34 1 4
Message 9 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Rich, thanks.  Any idea what driver(s) are involved in the remote control?

0 Kudos
MrHtml
5 5 0 0
Message 10 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Chuck,

Not sure about the drivers for the remote. I was looking online today, but did not find anything. From what I can tell, when I installed the Media Center, thats when I first started using the remote on Windows 8, and found it pretty much worked fine for the what I was using it for. Curious for the HP IQ826t, what was the latest BIOS version that is available for it.. The Version on my system is 5.07. Was there anything after 5.07..

Rich

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation