Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
gerdin Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Supported graphic cards for PTGD-LA (Puffer2-UL8E)?

Hi,

Does anybody know how I can se what graphic cards that i s supported by my moderboard in an pavilion d1291.se

The board is PTGD-LA or PTGD1-LA (Puffer2-UL8E), I believe the difference is that my board has an PCIe x16 port and this is as much info regarding video graphic support that I can get frpm HPs specifications. The acctual BIOS is 3.28 dated 2006-05-10 and is the latest version awailable. Will my board support al kind of PCIe cards or is it restricted to pci-e version 1.0? 

Since HP probably wont uppdate the BIOS and since ASUS made this board especially for HP I guess that a new card won´t be supported? Seen comments od having to uppgrade bios in other forums, but regarding other boards. What can i get that will handle h264 decoding and permitting me to play full HD material 1080p/i? With no other components exhanged. Full details of the setup follows.

I´m glad for al input and help.

Pentium4 560 (P) HT 3.6 GHz:
800 MHz Front side bus 
Socket 775 

Asus PTGD-LA 

will be replace since 1080p/i is lagging (GeForce 6800 256 DDR memory PCI-E x16) 

SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS soundcard, Dolby 5.1 

500 GB (2X250) SATA, 7200 rpm 

2 x 512, 240 pin, DDR2 SDRAM 

Win7 

PSU 400W.

5 REPLIES
Provost
Provost
28010 1807 5026
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi,

Your PC has a decent size PSU but the important specification is the amount of amperage available on the 12+ bus.  What does the lable on PSU indicate for +12 volt amperage?

Your PC is six years old so the PCI-E x16 specification is 1.x since 2.0 did not reach the market place unitl 2007.

These are the motherboard specifications for your PC.  Is the slot adjacent to the PCI-E x16 slot vacant?  This will determine if a double wide video card will fit into the PC.  I have seen a few posts where the newer ATI 5xxx failed to work in older PCs so I would chose NVIDIA from that observation.  Most PCI-E x16 2.0 video cards are backwards compatible to the 1.x specification.

Do you need DirectX 11 support?

Even though your front side bus speed is 800 mhz, your memory speed is possibly slower than what might be optimal for HD video.  Does your PC have the PC2-4200 memory dimms? You can use CPU-Z or PC Wizard to locate that information.  I would recommend that you upgrade your memory to 4 GB with matching dimms.  See the motherboard specifications.

I can help you with a video card recommendation once you answer the questions from above.

HP Photosmart 6520
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 16GB, 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 2K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz
0 Kudos
gerdin Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi and thanks for your reply,
I got two 12V rails, 12VA/17A and 12VB/10A (as well as 5V/20A, 3.3V/15A, 5V/2A)
I have one 4 pin ATX and one 24 pinATX on separate lines.
One line of 3 four pin and 3 sata connectors (used to power 2 hardrives).
One line with 3 four pin connectors and a smaller four pin connector (used to power a DVD to be a BluRay player and 3 fans).
And one line with a four pin connector and a six pin PCI power connector.
The slot next to PCI-E16 is vacant sp space shoulden´t be a problem. Although the ATX main power limits the length to 220mm (measured to the plate with the connectors at the rear). I have tries an Club 3D HD 4350 with bad results, the board can´t initiate the card. I guess this i because of old BIOS? Could that be a problem of not being backwards compatible?
Don´t know if i need DirectX 11. Do I? The machine is supposed to be a media center/surfing machine and perhaps some photoshop. But no gaming what so ever. 
As I se it I have DDR2-SDRAM PC2-4300 (266 - [DDR2-533] what ever that means. I was thinking about upgrafing to 3 GB of Ram since it´s an 32-bit system?
Now I am able to play 720p x264 mkv files but 1080p is lagging in either sound or image, depending on player VLC/MPC.
I would verry much apreciate a recommendation from you.

0 Kudos
Provost
Provost
28010 1807 5026
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

A very good card that is a single slot card is the NVIDIA GT 240 1GB DDR5.  This card has shown good compatibility will older PCs.  However, check with the card manufactuer to make sure that it will be backwards compatible with your PC.

Know what the return policy is before you buy.

HP Photosmart 6520
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 16GB, 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 2K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz
gerdin Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thanks for your advice. I actually bought a GT240 512MB card and it works perfectly!

0 Kudos
MarkyMark5 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi,

I have the same motherboard but my Hp model is different it is a t3240.pt. Can I use the same graphics card? Does the graphics card manufacturer need to be Nvidia or can it be Asus?

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation