cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
JacqueD
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

System (Z:)

HP Recommended
HP Pavillan
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I see and understand that the mysterious System (Z:) has been appearing on the Windows 7 pc's and has folks wondering how and why it's there with no real answers that I can tell since the answers given are in relation to operating systems Winows 10, and stating that it's been an issue with that version and that possibly it's created by recent updates. Well I'm running on Windows 7 64 bit and I have had mny pc several years, and only recently started getting the System (Z:) showing. I see that it comes and goes, and "No" you can not accesss nor delete it that I can tell. Though if it's a real worry for you and you just want it gone. I have found that if you simply restart your computer that it goes away. It can and will come back at some point, but you can rid it for the time being. I don't like it being there, because I'm sure it's using data, Ram, and Hard Drive, because I have a program installed that informs me of all that Data useage and will tell me if my PC is running hot. As soon as I see it go up into the red letting me know that things are running at 100% and Hot, I look and sure enough the System (Z:) is there, and as soon as I do a restart of my pc it goes away and my pc is back to running normally. I tend to think it's a Trojan designed by HP or some other entity to access your pc and run data and or programs from afar. If it continues I will trash all my HP computers and buy a different brand, because it sure isn't doing this on my Leveno PC, only my HP's

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
30,657 30,564 2,790 6,740
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

JacqueD

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

What you're seeing is a coincidence!

Drive "Z:" is created by Windows Update, so of course, when THAT runs, you are going to see major use of processor resources.

When Windows Update is done using that, it removes it.  So, of course, when it's gone and Windows Update is NOT running, you're not going to see the same processor usage.

I've repeatedly told folks to stop agonizing over this, as MS will create it when needed and get rid of it when not needed.

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,688
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> If it continues I will trash all my HP computers and buy a different brand, because it sure isn't doing this on my Lenovo PC, only my HPs,

Is it continuing?

I think that Windows Update on your Lenovo will behave just like Windows Update on your HP, namely "borrowing" about 256MB (0.4GB) of RAM, to create a "virtual" disk-drive, assigning it as 'Z:', and then deleting it, or allowing it to be automatically deleted when you reboot your hardware.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation