Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
andrew235 Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

System fan has failed CQ3085D

Hi

The message "system fan has failed...press f2 to continue" was displayed on boot. The computer model is CQ3085D compaq presario desktop with windows 7 32 bit home premium. There were no changes made to hardware prior to appearance of the message. When I tried entering BIOs, I cannot find any information on the system fan. The hardware diagnostic tool also has no information on system fan but only information on cpu temperature. Can anyone advise on what I can do to resolve the problem?

Thank you

Andrew

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
45617 4307 10946
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

System Fan refers to a fan other than the CPU cooling fan connected to the motherboard. On your motherboard it is called the Chassis_Fan.  Does your PC even have a system fan? If there is a fan connected to the chassis_fan header then it has probably had a speed sensor failure. I suggest unplugging the three-pin connector and plugging it back in again and then booting up your PC.  It is not a critical item, but it should be replaced with a new fan of the same size.

What is the installed operating system?

system fan.png

Click on the Thumbs up to say thanks .
If your problem is solved or question answered by my post, please click the Accepted Solution button in that post.

0 Kudos
treshipp Top Student
Top Student
6 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

System fan is usually a case fan that plugs in to the MoBo and used to keep the internal temperature of the case down to correct operating range. Is your case fan running? If not, did it get unplugged? If it's plugged in and not running, try unplugging and replugging the fan to the MoBo. If that doesn't solve it, buy a new fan, they're cheap. CAUTION: be sure to ground yourself to the case when working inside a computer as static electricity can wreak havoc on the components contained within. Just touch the case prior to touching any of the components inside and try to maintain contact with the case while working inside. There are grounding straps made for just this purpose, but if you are careful you can make due without one.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation