cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Dave2000
4 2 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

System locks after Login

HP Recommended
Pavillion HPE h8-1360t
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I recently restored my system to restore point set prior to a failed upgrade to W10 . The restore was "successful" but then...

When I boot up, I get normal login but when I enter my password, system tells me it is setting up my desktop??  Then it stalls in never never land. When I  boot in safe mode I get my normal desktop but not much works including networking. Most anything I try yields an explorer  error message that the file or resource cannot be found, etc.  Curiously I can open any PDF file with Acrobat and I can even browse and load  other PDF files on the hard disk from within acrobat. I ran boot log and in fact most of the the drivers other than sysroot... did not load.

I tried all of the repair options provided by HP and microsoft without success.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Karthik
Level 9
1,978 1,975 183 586
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I suggest you do a system recovery:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01867418

Wish you luck,
Karthik

--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post)
--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
0 Kudos
Dave2000
Author
4 2 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

After many other attempts to fix the system, I backed up the files and took your advice.  Recovery to original configuration went great but in the setup phase I am stuck at "setup is starting services" error box says setup could not continue and to restart. That loops back to the same situation. I seem to have no where to go!  this is apparently a common situation but I have found no relief from the Microsoft support boards.  

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation