cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
bigjer1948 Top Student
Top Student
5 3 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

System won't start after installing nightly update

This is my second posting of this question. My problem was not  caused by upgrading to W-10!  I upgraded several months ago, and everything wa working fine.  The problem occurred when the computer was installing Windows updates from the night before.  

Tried to start computer after downloading update previous night.  It came on and ran through updating sequence, then monitor went crazy with broken blue lines.  Would not accept input from keyboard or mouse.  Used power button to shut down.  Now when I try to start the computer, the power light comes on, and stays blue, but monitor shows searches for signal, then displays "No signal" for any of the input options, then goes to sleep.  Tried the monitor with a different computer and it works fine.  How do I get this thing on!?!?!?! Thanks for any help you can provide!

Called HP Support yesterday, and was certainly willing to pay for service, but was told computer is more than 3 years old, so they don't offer service.  Was told to find a local technician who might be able to help.  Very disappointing.  We have 3 HPs, and will probably not purchase another one because of this.  The Windows update caused the problem, yet HP son't helo!

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Provost Provost
Provost
21083 20755 2345 7849
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@bigjer1948, welcome to the forum.

Before I get to the possible solution, I just want to say that Windows Update has nothing to do with anything HP has done.  Microsoft is the provider of the updates.

With that said, if you made the Recovery media when you bought the computer, you should try using it.  If the computer boots from the media it may allow the monitor to work.

-----------------------------------------
Signature:

HP TouchPad - 1.2 GHz; 1 GB memory; 32 GB storage; WebOS/CyanogenMod 11(Kit Kat)

HP Omen 880-160se; i7-8700K (OC'd to 5.2 GHz); 16 GB DDR4 2400; GTX 1070-8 GB; 512 GB SSD M.2; Win 10 Home

HP Spectre 360 Convertible; i7-7560U; 16 GB memory; Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 640; 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD; 13.3" diagonal 4K UHD UWVA eDP BrightView WLED-backlit multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass (3840 x 2160); Windows 10 Pro 64 with Windows Ink

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up+ to say 'Thanks' and the 'Accept as Solution' if I have solved your problem.**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

5 3 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I understand that Windows updates come from Microsoft and not HP, but you'd think HP would support their system.  I know I'm out of warranty, and would be willing to pay for their help.

Anyway.....I didn't think of trying the Recovery media since the computer didn't seem to be booting up, but I will definitely give it a try.  Thanks for the suggestion!

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
21083 20755 2345 7849
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You are very welcome, @bigjer1948.  Yours is the last word on the updates! :Wink:

Please let me know what happens.

-----------------------------------------
Signature:

HP TouchPad - 1.2 GHz; 1 GB memory; 32 GB storage; WebOS/CyanogenMod 11(Kit Kat)

HP Omen 880-160se; i7-8700K (OC'd to 5.2 GHz); 16 GB DDR4 2400; GTX 1070-8 GB; 512 GB SSD M.2; Win 10 Home

HP Spectre 360 Convertible; i7-7560U; 16 GB memory; Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 640; 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD; 13.3" diagonal 4K UHD UWVA eDP BrightView WLED-backlit multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass (3840 x 2160); Windows 10 Pro 64 with Windows Ink

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up+ to say 'Thanks' and the 'Accept as Solution' if I have solved your problem.**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Top Student
5 3 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I checked the 3 recovery disks I made when the computer was purchased to be sure I had the correct one.  It contained the "Boot" and "Recovery" folders.  Since the computer won't boot up on its own, turned it on (the blue light came on and stayed on, but the screen remained blank) so I could open the DVD/CD drive. Put the disk in and turned the system off with the I/O button, then turned it back on.  The computer started (blue light on, fan on) and the disk drive ran for a couple of seconds and then stopped. The monitor screen remained black and "No signal" appeared after about 30 seconds, then monitor went to sleep.

Apologies for the long-winded account, but wanted you to know exactly what I tried.

Interestingly, later in the day I tried turning it on again (hoping for a different result - isn't that a form of insanity?) w/o the recovery disk.  The little slanted Windows symbol came up on the monitor with the circular timer.  The timer ran for about 5 seconds, then the screen went black and stayed that way.  Several other attempts during the day were unsuccessful - just a black screen.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation