cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
lesconnor Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thin Client selection for server 2012 r2 remoteapp

Hi,

I have a remoteapp published (via RDP file) from a 2012r2 server. All is well testing with Win7 client computers. Now I need to select thin clients to run this app, but am struggling with what will or won't work.

t410, t510, t610?

Which OS? Thinpro, and FreeRDP, or WES 7 or 8?

A pointer to a "product selector" would be awesome ;-). But failing that, any recommendation or discussion is appreciated.

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Intern Intern
Intern
90 90 0 6
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Personally, I suggest WES8, as it provides the support of latest version of RDP client.

====================================================
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
====================================================

**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
0 Kudos
lesconnor Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yeah, that would be the safest route ;-). But it's also the fattest, and most expensive.

I'm trying to locate some HP pre-sales technical support that might point to a more granular selection process.

Thanks for the reply, though!.

0 Kudos
vgernyc Top Student
Top Student
2 2 1 0
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're only real options are WES 7 or WES 8 with the RDP 8.1 update.

You can potentially try out Linux and Zero Clients have have newish versions of FreeRDP in their images.  The FreeRDP project is attempting to support RDP 8.1 as we speak.  The t410 I read seems to support FreeRDP 1.0.2 in the Dec 2013 image update for example.

Older thin clients use RDesktop which only supports RDP 4.0 or 5.0. 

***Request a demo unit before purchasing***

0 Kudos
lesconnor Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The answer is ... the t510 with ThinPro 4.4 connects to server 2012 r2 RDS for both full RDS sessions and remoteapp sessions. USB redirection works. This is OOB, and, there is an update for FreeRDP that allows connections via RDS Gateway. From the HP device support webpage:

In addition to numerous defect fixes and minor enhancements, the freerdp-1.1-hp4 release includes:
- Provides support for RD Gateway, an RDP feature akin to a proxy server, to allow access to RDP across network boundaries. Gateway parameters are specified in the Network Tab of the RDP connection settings.
- Provides a more robust session redirect for RDP sessions handled by Remote Desktop Broker, including those of Windows Server 2012 and 2012R2.
- Provides a new simplified interface for device redirection. In general, the USB control panel determines whether a device is redirected and the connection's settings under Local Resources determine how a device is redirected.
- Provides a more robust lost-connection handler to allow quick reconnection after a network or server dropout.
- Provides more consistent performance from smartcard readers.
- Addresses issues with the Remote Control sessions from an RDP server.

0 Kudos
Mike_Strom Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HI,

Did you ever get this isue resolved? I have 25 T510 Thinpro clients I'm trying to get working with Server 2012 R2 RD Connection Broker and it is a bear trying to figure out how to make it work.

I have update one of them as a test to Thinpro 5.0, which has some other improvements but it still uses the same HP tweeked version of FreeRDP.

Thanks in advance.

Mike Strom

0 Kudos
Teacher Teacher
Teacher
70 70 5 9
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi guys,

For a Windows Server back end I would personally only recommend a WES thin client.

Any Windows based client will always have a more up to date and feature rich client than a Linux client can deliver. You may save some money going Linux, but at a risk of not getting the feature your user wants.

Microsoft don't exactly make it as easy as they could to make non Windows client.

One thin also to take not of is that Microsoft dont seem to have released a RDP V8.1 for WES8 as yet. They may at some time in the future but if we dont have one now, I doubt one is comming.

Microsoft have released a RDP V8.1 client for WES7 (go figure), so until  a V8.1 client is available for WES8, I would be recommending WES7.

Regards

Andrew S.

0 Kudos
DMCC Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The t5325 and t5335z will NOT work, with the Windows 2012R2 Terminal Services Broker.  Even though there is an update for the 5335 units that claims to support RDP7, it does not.

I would get t5740 WES7 machines as the most cost effective that should work.  t510 and t610 units should also work, as long as you have WES7 or 8.

Good luck!  This has become a much more expensive venture that I had expected!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Teacher Teacher
Teacher
70 70 5 9
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

While the devices mentioned ablove are very old devices and i have not had anything to do with them for some time, there may be some value in looking at the documents that detail configuring the server end to try and negotioate to RDP7.

I have been lead to believe that RDP on current generaton server trys RDP8(.*) and fails back to RDP6 ratehr than RDP7.

Have a look at Enabling RemoteFX for RDP specifically.

More docs that may be worth a look can be found White papers.

i hope this is of some use.

Regards

Andrew S.

0 Kudos
VasyaVasya Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

do you know what's about T520? Does it work with WS 2012 R2 with RDP?

Many thanks in advance, 

Ilya

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation