Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Student
Message 1 of 2 (3,993 Views)

TouchSmart 300 Dvd Player won't read or burn DVD

My dvd player is not working correctly.  I am able read and burn CDs, but the player won't read or write DVDs.  I have a touchsmart 300 running Windows 7.  I was trying to burn some home movies in WMA format.  Movie Maker recognizes a blank DVD, and attempts to burn the DVD, but once it finishes, the disk is blank.  I then tried to just burn a MPG file using another software program and it failed at the validation stage.  Finally, I put a dvd movie in the drive and it wont recognize the disk.  These functions used to work fine.  The computer is only 15 months old, of course I only had a one year warranty.

Is there anyway this could be related to software or is it a hardware problem?

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 2 (3,977 Views)

Re: TouchSmart 300 Dvd Player won't read or burn DVD

Hi,

First, try the automated fixit from Microsoft on the link below.

Windows 7

If it still isn't working, try the following.

Next, from the Start Menu, open the Control Panel and click on Device Manager.  Next click to open DVD/CD-ROM Drives.  Right click the drive and select uninstall.  Do not delete drivers if asked.  When the device has uninstalled click on the 'Scan for Hardware Changes' icon ( usually just below Help on the toolbar ).  Let windows reinstall the drive and see if it now works.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation