cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Master's Graduate
Master's Graduate
595 539 31 56
Message 21 of 59
Flag Post
HP Recommended

TouchSmart IQ770 Wireless connection problems

Hi AntDaddy,

Its sad that you feel this way, or have had an unpleasent expereince with the IQ and I probably don't blame you.  The problem is that everything is integrated and if something goes your pretty much stuck with it or if its worse you'll need to either throw it out or buya new m/board for it...

But don't give in, lets look a little closer into the keyhole and work out what we really are looking at here....  here is a suggestion - i'm not sure if your've already tried but maybe one way to reserect the "dead" is by getting some new body parts, you know like frankenstien. Heck I'm pretty much dissappointed with the sound card not performing the way i hoped so I bought a USB creative sound card 5.1 and am happier now (but still think HP should get their act together and fix that particular issue which I won't go into here but have mentioned in another thread)  - Here it is right, what i suggest is you try buying a cheap arse USB Wireless card and see if that helps.. If it all works with USB wireless then at least you won't be using it as a door stop..  I know its not a fix but yet I'm sure it'll make you feel a little better about the whole thing!

Message Edited by JimT on 02-03-2009 12:00 AM
HP Elite X2 1012 G2, HP ENVY 17-j005tx Notebook, HP ENVY Recline 27-k001a, HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G2020T, HP MediaSmart EX495 Server, HP MediaVault 2020, HP ENVY 120 AiO Printer
0 Kudos
ANTDADDY Tutor
Tutor
22 21 0 1
Message 22 of 59
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi JimT,  I appreciate the suggestion, though in a sense I may have tried the wireless card option with a twist.  I bought a less than cheap arse wireless adapter, and even had to copy the software to a flashdrive to install it, because the dvd drive which has been used fewer than 20 times over the life of the touchdummy, will not load a disk.  I do know the adapter works because it is now in service to the non wireless desktop replacement for the touchdummy. Loads quickly, recognizes and connects to the network with passkey... just as the touchdummy once did... but won't do with or without the adapter.  If the wireless card option is truly technically different it may yet remain a possible solution.  Without verification from the folks who really know the answer (HP are you checking your own forum?) to their own design flaws, I would rather not spend another dime on what has become more than a two grand mistake with the purchase of a replacement cpu plus monitor.  I know I have cost them more than10 grand by sharing my experiences with my contacts who changed their purchase decision on the new unit.  Great ideas with poor execution make for poor purchases.  I will not let any of my 1500+ households make that error without at least a fair warning from someone who has already made it.

I hope you can help Polly and others.  I really have come to the place I belong in the HP Touchdummy grand scheme. HP deserves someone like me who while inconvenienced, is not as economically injured as are less fortunate others.  My responsibility is clear. 

0 Kudos
Master's Graduate
Master's Graduate
595 539 31 56
Message 23 of 59
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sure I see your point, its like Don Chipp, from The Australian Democrats' had his slogan "Keep the bastards honest" policy - not that I'm a democrat or anything... :TongueOut:

However, don't you find it unuasually strange that a USB Wireless card also fails to connect, its sort of indicating an OS related issue, more so a tcpip stack issue, have you tried this article(s)...  Not sure if anyone else has mentioned it yet, the thread is to long to go back and read through..

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

If not, it would be of interest (to me and the others) if you could try and see if any of the steps htere are going to be helpful for this issue...

Message Edited by JimT on 02-03-2009 02:56 PM
HP Elite X2 1012 G2, HP ENVY 17-j005tx Notebook, HP ENVY Recline 27-k001a, HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G2020T, HP MediaSmart EX495 Server, HP MediaVault 2020, HP ENVY 120 AiO Printer
0 Kudos
ANTDADDY Tutor
Tutor
22 21 0 1
Message 24 of 59
Flag Post
HP Recommended

JimT,  Took a look at the article. The TouchDummy runs Vista though, and the article applies to everything but.  Is this a fix with application beyond that stated in the article?  Otherwise, I have been through every TCP IP twist and turn imaginable with hours of guidance by linksys and my internet provider. I really do mean hours as in 12 or more sitting on the phone at the computer.  At my hourly rate, that is some expensive hobby time!  Once again, I appreciate your effort.  No prob with the demo ref... it's demo now more than ever:smileywink:

0 Kudos
Master's Graduate
Master's Graduate
595 539 31 56
Message 25 of 59
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I can imagine that after 12 hours of trying things it would be extremely frustrating by the 11th hour and by the end of the 12th one would just give up the ghost...

in that document there are a couple of other references, there is another link within it which applies to vista as well. I sent that link as it does go into a bit more detail for you to read through...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811259/

Have you treid reseting winsock2?

EDIT: These steps here...

Manual steps to determine whether the Winsock2 key is corrupted for Windows Vista users
  1. Click Start, click Run, type Msinfo32, and then click OK.
  2. Expand Components, expand Network, and then click Protocol.
  3. Ten sections appear under Protocol. The section headings will include the following names if the Winsock2 key is undamaged:
    • MSAFD Tcpip [TCP/IP]
    • MSAFD Tcpip [UDP/IP]
    • MSAFD Tcpip [TCP/IPv6]
    • MSAFD Tcpip [UDP/IPv6]
    • RSVP UDP Service Provider
    • RSVP TCP Service Provider
    • RSVP UDPv6 Service Provider
    • RSVP TCPv6 Service Provider
    • MSAFD NetBIOS [\Device\NetBT_Tcpip...
    If the names are anything different from those in this list, the Winsock2 key is corrupted, or you have a third-party add-on such as proxy software installed.

If you have a third-party add-on installed, the name of the add-on will replace the letters "MSAFD" in the list.

If there are more than ten sections in the list, you have third-party additions installed.

If there are fewer than ten sections, there is information missing.

Note These entries represent an installation with only the TCP/IP protocol installed. You can have a working Winsock and see additional entries if another protocol is installed. For example, if you install NWLink IPX/SPX, you will see 7 additional sections, for a total of 17. Below is an example heading of one of the new sections:

MSAFD nwlnkipx [IPX]

Also, each of the new sections that are created by installing NWLink IPX/SPX start with "MSAFD." Therefore, there are still only two sections that do not start with those letters.

If the Netdiag test fails, or if you determined that there is Winsock corruption by looking at Msinfo32, you must repair the Winsock2 key by using the steps in the next section.

Manual steps to recover from Winsock2 corruption for Windows Vista users

Winsock corruption can cause connectivity problems. To resolve this issue by using Network Diagnostics in Windows Vista, follow these steps:

1. Click ,
    Collapse this imageExpand this image
    Start
    and then click Network.
  2. Click Network and Sharing Center.
  3. In the Network and Sharing Center box, click Diagnose and Repair.

Note You may also access the Network and Sharing Center in Control Panel.

If the Network and Diagnostic tool was unable to find a problem, you can manually repair or reset Winsock.

Manual steps to repair or to reset Winsock for Windows Vista users
  1. Click
    Collapse this imageExpand this image
    Start
    , type cmd in the Start Search box, right-click cmd.exe, click Run as administrator, and then press Continue.
  2. Type netsh winsock reset at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

Note If the command is typed incorrectly, you will receive an error message. Type the command again. When the command is completed successfully, a confirmation appears, followed by a new command prompt. Then, go to step 3.
  3. Type exit, and then press ENTER.
Message Edited by JimT on 02-03-2009 03:55 PM
Message Edited by JimT on 02-03-2009 03:56 PM
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Master's Graduate
Master's Graduate
595 539 31 56
Message 26 of 59
Flag Post
HP Recommended

here is my msinfo output of the protocol section as described, you might want to use this as a comparison , but i have vista 64 so might be different...

System Information report written at: 02/03/09 16:03:04
System Name: TOUCHSMART
[Protocol]

Item Value 
Name MSAFD Tcpip [TCP/IP] 
Connectionless Service No 
Guarantees Delivery Yes 
Guarantees Sequencing Yes 
Maximum Address Size 16 bytes 
Maximum Message Size 0 bytes 
Message Oriented No 
Minimum Address Size 16 bytes 
Pseudo Stream Oriented No 
Supports Broadcasting No 
Supports Connect Data No 
Supports Disconnect Data No 
Supports Encryption No 
Supports Expedited Data Yes 
Supports Graceful Closing Yes 
Supports Guaranteed Bandwidth No 
Supports Multicasting No 

Name MSAFD Tcpip [UDP/IP] 
Connectionless Service Yes 
Guarantees Delivery No 
Guarantees Sequencing No 
Maximum Message Size 63.99 KB (65,527 bytes) 
Message Oriented Yes 
Supports Broadcasting Yes 
Supports Connect Data No 
Supports Encryption No 
Supports Expedited Data No 
Supports Graceful Closing No 
Supports Multicasting Yes 

Name MSAFD Tcpip [TCP/IPv6] 
Guarantees Delivery Yes 
Maximum Address Size 28 bytes 
Message Oriented No 
Minimum Address Size 28 bytes 
Supports Broadcasting No 
Supports Connect Data No 
Supports Encryption No 
Supports Multicasting No 

Name MSAFD Tcpip [UDP/IPv6] 
Guarantees Delivery No 
Guarantees Sequencing No 
Message Oriented Yes 
Supports Connect Data No 
Supports Encryption No 

Name RSVP TCPv6 Service Provider 
Guarantees Delivery Yes 
Message Oriented No 
Supports Broadcasting No 
Supports Connect Data No 
Supports Encryption Yes 
Supports Multicasting No 

Name RSVP TCP Service Provider 
Guarantees Delivery Yes 
Message Oriented No 
Supports Broadcasting No 
Supports Connect Data No 
Supports Encryption Yes 
Supports Multicasting No 

Name RSVP UDPv6 Service Provider 
Guarantees Delivery No 
Guarantees Sequencing No 
Message Oriented Yes 
Supports Connect Data No 
Supports Encryption Yes 

Name RSVP UDP Service Provider 
Guarantees Delivery No 
Guarantees Sequencing No 
Message Oriented Yes 
Supports Connect Data No 
Supports Encryption Yes 

Name MSAFD RfComm [Bluetooth] 
Guarantees Delivery Yes 
Maximum Address Size 30 bytes 
Message Oriented No 
Minimum Address Size 30 bytes 
Supports Broadcasting No 
Supports Connect Data No 
Supports Encryption No 
Supports Multicasting No 

0 Kudos
ANTDADDY Tutor
Tutor
22 21 0 1
Message 27 of 59
Flag Post
HP Recommended

JimT,

I will print and perhaps follow the steps you suggest.  I have run windows diagnostics over and over during the journey to this place with the results of which we speak.  I won't be in a hurry though. I will be sure to post with the results for you when I do.

0 Kudos
PhD Student
PhD Student
1475 1465 35 112
Message 28 of 59
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Are you running Windows Vista SP1 or SP2?

Can I suggest that you try the following:

1.       Going to Device Manager --> Universal Serial Bus controllers

2.       Go to the

Generic USB Hub, Properties, (if available) Power Management tab and uncheck the box “Allow the system to turn off this device to save power”, OK

3.       If that doesn’t work, additionally, go to each USB Root Hub and uncheck the box “Allow the system to turn off this device to save power”, OK

Let me know if it works.

0 Kudos
ANTDADDY Tutor
Tutor
22 21 0 1
Message 29 of 59
Flag Post
HP Recommended

PC,  Just a courtesy reply as I have not touched :manwink: the touchdummy for anything other than its limited TV use since sometime in January (I think) and I have not checked this thread for an equally long time.  By the way, it is even inconvenient to use as a TV without internet utility.

Started with sp1 then got the sp2 "upgrade".  Honestly, VISTA was not an upgrade from XP in a practical sense... but I digress. 

Based upon the fact that your reply is the first to this HP problem ( you did notice the last reply was sometime in February) in so long, I assume everyone learned what I did... THE TOUCHDUMMY IS NOT EVEN A GOOD VALUE AS A DOORSTOP AT ALMOST 2 GRAND.   I guess they figured it out since I see the latest model advertised at Office Depot for less than 1 grand.  I would not buy one for more than $200 which would make it a cumbersome portable backup drive.

I wish I could commit to trying your suggestion, but that unit is not a high priority item and is likely headed to the school donation pile after I remodel my office. Elementary aged children will at least find the touchscreen thingy amusing.  I am not amused by HP or the lack of honesty about their expensive consumer experiments.  I am impressed by the growing number of my customers verifying how they have spread the word about the TOUCHDUMMY experience.

I hope you help others who may yet benefit from your advice.  I have moved beyond doing what HP should have for all who trusted in their technology and the intent of the company to develop loyal customers into loyal fans.  I will never be a fan. 

0 Kudos
Master's Graduate
Master's Graduate
595 539 31 56
Message 30 of 59
Flag Post
HP Recommended

but hang on a moment - wouldn't you say that sp1 and sp2 are issues that relate to Microsoft - why blame HP and why say that HP is dis-honest... strange thing to say really.... maybe win7 will fix all these issues... (I'm hoping they will)
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation