Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question
TouchSmart IQ770 Wireless connection problems
Replies (58)

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Top Student
Message 11 of 59 (6,345 Views)

Re: TouchSmart IQ770 Wireless connection problems

I read that Vista now out beta testing has a fix for wireless problems
Top Student
Message 12 of 59 (6,339 Views)

Sorry that should be Vista SP2
PhD Student
Message 13 of 59 (6,188 Views)

To: Antdaddy  

how long you had that touchsmart

if less than 30 days to 2 weeks

depending on the store

you should be able to return it

Please provide Kudos to whom has provided answers or
good points or advice..
Aslo if the questions or issues solved please check it
"Accepted"
Thanks and you are welcome _____ Rick
Tutor
Message 14 of 59 (6,176 Views)

Thanks again Rick,

I have had it for about 19 months or so.  Return and warranty help are out as is tech support.  HP should have a longer support period for these trial balloon products to address glitches experienced by those of us who take the financial risk to embrace such products.  As for this one, it is now working as a glorified TV with backup computer capabilities.  Sadly, it does not have full tv capabilities because it has no ability to load the guides or information screen data ... because of the very problem that started this conversation.  Too bad HP could not possibly care less.  In the meantime, the replacement computer recognized the network and lit right up, unlike the Touchsmart with the low IQ which recognizes the network but does not connect in a usable way.  Maybe HP will one day get it.

PhD Student
Message 15 of 59 (6,097 Views)

have you tried restore the computer

but first back up all you data and license or key  of any added software

that you aquired

has this been a problem since you owned it or started when

i hope it works out instead of being kind of paperweight and a word processor

Please provide Kudos to whom has provided answers or
good points or advice..
Aslo if the questions or issues solved please check it
"Accepted"
Thanks and you are welcome _____ Rick
Tutor
Message 16 of 59 (6,044 Views)

Rick,  I have restored, updated drivers, removed all traces of antivirus and firewall management software, intalled and reinstalled, configured and reconfigured, etc. etc etc.  The problem is most likely associated with the network card, since the drivers have been updated, placed back to the original driver ad-infinitum.  There is no internet connection with LAN or Wireless despite the unit recognizing the wireless network nor does it connect to the HP Photosmart printer it now sits inches away from.  It did not quit until december though it had exhibited some connection issues intermittently several months before (they were seemingly resolved). 

You can keep thinking about it. I don't have time or inclination anymore.  It now serves as a backup drive and media storage center with rudimentary TV capabilities.  The CD won't even take in a disc even though it was used fewer than 30 times since I bought it.  I recognize an experiment gone bad when I see one.  I just paid the price for the experiment, which makes me the sucker. HP knows the problems.

Honor Student
Message 17 of 59 (5,486 Views)

Hi ANTDADDY,

Just wanted to say, my mom bought this computer probably around the same time you did and we've got the same problem.  The very same.  It seems like EVERY time she restarts the computer it either takes FOREVER to connect to our router (wireless network, SSID that is very clearly broadcast) which is only a few feet away (granted, the router is a Linksys, and very old, but still) or it doesn't connect at all.

It's so frustrating because I have a nice little gateway laptop that doesn't have as fast of a processor as the HP TouchSmart, but the wireless internet ALWAYS connects right away, every time i restart my laptop...So when I use mom's big old HP and it's nice and fast, with a huge hard drive and all these extra features to boot, everything except the wireless internet really...well it's just annoying. 

Being a smarty pants teenager of course I've done everything I can for my mom, but I swear these connection problems need to get fixed!!

HP....PUH-LEAAAAASSSSSEEEEEE help.  2 grand for a touchscreen computer, ok fine....but 2 grand for a 15 pound hunk of metal! Please!

If anyone has any suggestions??????

Thanks

Cass

Master's Graduate
Message 18 of 59 (5,469 Views)

[ Edited ]
not sure if you have tried, but might be worth testing while disabling WEP or WPA on the wireless router and PC to see if you can establish a connection without any security settings.  I know its not desirable, but for testing the Wireless on your touchsmart you should be able to figure out if it has something to do with certificates or something,...  can you also check if you can connect touchsmart pc peer-to-peer with your laptop using adhoc mode (not in infrustracture mode)  ?
Message Edited by JimT on 02-01-2009 09:26 PM
HP ENVY 17-j005tx Notebook, HP ENVY Recline 27-k001a, HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G2020T, HP MediaSmart EX495 Server, HP MediaVault 2020, HP ENVY 120 AiO Printer
Tutor
Message 19 of 59 (5,446 Views)

Hello Polly,

Sorry to hear about the probs you have... welcome to the club. I would not wish such problems on anyone of honest nature!  I wish I could be of assistance, but my solution has been to use the touchdumb as a glorified TV. That is not even a great option since I could have bought two HDTV LCD's for the same money, and without the ability to connect internet, this thing gets barebones utility as a tv!  I may use it to store copies of my album collection and as a truck sized pocket drive for backup  to the backup purposes.

If you read all the previous comments, you know I have done everything but replace the motherboard... but without readily available, detailed and free diagrams from HP, I would rather wait until I get so tired of looking at it, I donate it to a school teacher after wiping the drive (they can use an external DVD since that doesn't work either). The tax credit for the donation is worth more than the TouchDummy.  Good luck with yours. Save a friend by warning them about HP's "new innovation" products. They should go with another brand or stick with the standard HP products on the low to middle lines.  I can't say I have bought a GREAT HP product yet, though I have been moderately satisfied with the more tried standard products.

My company and family will not be product loyal to HP again, and I share my experience with anyone who will listen, especially my customer base.

Tutor
Message 20 of 59 (5,450 Views)

Jim T.

Polly has a touchdummy that is about to drop out of the internet connection business soon. Mine had all the same symptoms early on but I did not recognize it for the disease HP knows this thing had.  Everything you queried about, I did over and over again for hours. Not only does it not cure the wireless connect disease, a wired connection does not cure the cancer either.  Internal surgery on the motherboard might work for someone who feels it is the economical solution... but what is the likelihood of recurrance of the disease if the parts are defective to begin with?

The cure?  HP needs to acknowledge the flaws inherant in the design pre-current model (which may be no better).  I am out of the sucker game for HP "innovation".

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation