cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
ANTDADDY Tutor
Tutor
22 21 0 1
Message 31 of 59
Flag Post
HP Recommended

TouchSmart IQ770 Wireless connection problems

JimT,  I don't know where you read HP was blamed for Microsoft issues. Certainly, you did not get that from any posting of mine, as my focus has always been the HP equipment issue. You would have to be a paid HP apologist to suggest that HP was simply waiting for Win7  or any other op system to catch up with the genius(?) of  their worthless paperweight. The argument is invalid in any case, as I have no issues with any other wireless connections... while running XP or VISTA on those machines... with the same equipment where the touchdummy fails. 

The software convo had only to do with a direct question from someone else as to whether sp1 or sp2 was on the touchdummy.  Since they took the time to post, I thought it appropriate to reply as a common courtesy.  That is unlike the dishonesty of a company foisting expensive lemons upon the public. As I have stated before, I have the nearly perfect vehicle to warn others against repeating my error. That is fair and honest.

0 Kudos
cainey Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 32 of 59
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I do not know if you can help me but I have the same problem with this computer not connection to the network.  Like every one else I seem to have tried everything that I am able to.  If I connect up with the cable all is fine but if I try wireless it may take around 30 goes to eventually decide to work.  I do not disconnect it but with it being touchscreen every now and then my dogs tails disconnects it.  Then the nightmare starts again.

I am not too technical but can follow instructions and tried to follow yours with regards

Generic USB Hub, Properties, (if available) Power Management tab and uncheck the box “Allow the system to turn off this device to save power”,

there was no box to uncheck for the power management?

I would be most grateful if you could advise me further as I like everyone else have reformatted and reinstalled and updated etc.  We actually bought two of these machines and now my husbands is on the way out just like mine!!!

I am running vista 32 if that helps.

Kind regards lesley

0 Kudos
ANTDADDY Tutor
Tutor
22 21 0 1
Message 33 of 59
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Lesley,

I am sorry to hear about your problems with your TouchSmart (soon to become TouchDummy).  I spent nearly 24 hours total using every work around and suggestion offered, and can only predict that you will end up where I did. As such I am done with the fixit conversation and simply recommend that none of my acquaintances or customers buy into the HP new technology offerings (stick with the simple, tried and true).

Jim T seems to be the HP hired hand responding to this thread, and in fact seems knowledgeable if not biased. Perhaps he can help you and your husband squeeze a bit more online life out of your units before they become nothing more than really fancy and expensive (almost 4 grand in your case) work stations, with little network capability if any.  By the symptoms you describe, you have 5 to 10 months before it/they fail (even with a line connection). I really hope Jim T can help you some way.  I will add your experience to my narrative shared with potential buyers of HP products.

0 Kudos
CanesFan Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 34 of 59
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I too have had all the connection problems described in this forum and found the simplest solution to keep my computer running.  Just like AntDaddy, I had to reboot at least 20-30 times to finally get connected.  To finally fix the issue, I purchased a USB Wireless Adapter (Netgear) and connected right away.  I cannot tell you how nice it is to get on the computer now and connect to the internet without all the headaches.  I just checked and the adapter costs as low as $8.94 on Ebay.  Based on the problems I have had with my IQ 770 (camera inop, wireless keyboard inop and wireless connection), I am determined never to purchase from HP again.  This was my first and last HP purchase ever but at least I get to use the screen and hard drive.  In closing, I fixed my non-working wireless keyboard by also attaching a USB keyboard to my computer.  Thank God for all the USB ports on this thing because I have put it to good use.
0 Kudos
ANTDADDY Tutor
Tutor
22 21 0 1
Message 35 of 59
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello CaneFan

I am glad the usb wireless worked for you.  That was among the things I tried, also without success. The wireless usb adapter did come in handy when I wanted to bring wireless to the desktop replacement for the touchdummy. Maybe it will buy others some time.  Good luck to you 

0 Kudos
CanesFan Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 36 of 59
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey ANTDaddy,

From your previous postings, you sound like you have quite a bit of knowledge about computers but have you tried to make your wireless USB adapter the default connector.  I know when I went through setting up the adapter with my router, I chose the option of letting my adapter make the connection each and every time.  I have tested the system by shutting down and restarting and each time the wireless adapter makes my internet connection -  on the very first attempt :).  I don't know what will happen if the the computer decides to work with it own adapter because the device manager does not even recognize the installed wireless adapter.  Just a thought if you haven't donated it yet.  Good luck to you with yours.  If you are going to scrap it, let me know.  I also need to get a new wireless keyboard and camera since both broke within the first year and a half also.  Just kidding - like I said in previous post, I have gone to external USB devices to keep this pain up and running. 

0 Kudos
ANTDADDY Tutor
Tutor
22 21 0 1
Message 37 of 59
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello CanesFan,  I did try that work around with no success.  I believe the system just works its way to absolute failure over time based upon the progression of symptoms my system exhibited (and other posters have echoed to varying degrees of failure) before it finally just lost it altogether.  I only hope others do not get the same expensive result.

I think HP is capable of  good ideas but less capable of executing them in a customer biased way. Beyond the touch dummy, their printers have known software conflicts which create relatively minor but constant problems with shutdown and other issues.  This was not the most intelligent purchase decision I have ever made, but I do not have to behave as HP does.  I am committed to fixing problems where I know they exist.

0 Kudos
help11 Student
Student
2 1 0 0
Message 38 of 59
Flag Post
HP Recommended

so.. the outcome is that.. you cant fix this connection problem with out having to buy a new computer? because i have the same computer and i thought it was just my internet that was **bleep**ed up. but now i realize that its my computer's fault. so what should i do. is it just the computer itself thats causing the problem or can i get like a new vista ( that would cost me alot of money) to fix this **bleep** computer? sighhhh. this computer is the worse choice ive ever made. i thought it was cool cuz it was touchscreen. oh wow. don't judge the book by its cover.
0 Kudos
ANTDADDY Tutor
Tutor
22 21 0 1
Message 39 of 59
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Help11, 

I do not wish the experience I had with my touchdummy on anyone, but you appear headed toward the same, oft repeated system failure found throughout this thread.  It is remotely possible that your thought of a new Vista could offer a partial solution (or miracle), but I have not seen any suggestions since beginning this conversation about 1/2 year ago.  Further, I must believe HP has some knowledge of this discussion, and they have not jumped in with an offer of solution.

You are right, cool idea, poor execution, non-existent product support from HP.  Look back at the suggestions throughout this thread, and maybe you will find something which will buy you time until your TOUCHDUMMY succombs to full blown dementia.  I would not invest in VISTA (Microsoft sure isn't) under any circumstance, much less as a potential solution to the HP problem. I am not qualified to speak about the new windows system and what benefit it may have as the operating system for your touchdummy... but I am qualified to say I have never been impressed with VISTA.

You are officially a member of the Most Expensive Paperweight and Word Processor Owners Club!  May you carefully consider any future HP purchases.

0 Kudos
GoBonnieGo Top Student
Top Student
8 7 0 0
Message 40 of 59
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Try as I might, I have also become a member of the Most Expensive Paperweight and Word Processor Owners Club.  I purchased one of the early Touchsmarts (IQ770), thinking it was a neat toy.  Well, its wireless died, then its fan went out.  Fixing either one of them seems to be impossible, either through HP ($300 whether they fix it or not) or a private repair shop.  Even as a paperweight or doorstop, it fails as it's too big to work around.  Great concept, lousy followthrough.

I knew when I bought it that buying an "all-in-one" was dangerous, but I thought SURELY, it would last more than 2 years.

I wonder just how many of the early Touchsmarts are dead or dying.  I'll bet the number is close to all of them by now.  I will never purchase another HP computer in my life as this experience (frustrating and time consuming) has ruined my relations with HP.

HP should stick to printers (after 20 minutes talking about this computer problem, my "knowledgeable" support tech sent me to another number for printer parts, duh) and never make another computer if this is the way they are going to build and (not)support them.

I'm not usually a basher, but trying to get this computer fixed has both aggravated and saddened me. I won't buy another HP and sure as h*ll won't let anyone I know purchase one.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation