Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
ANTDADDY Tutor
Tutor
22 0 1
Message 41 of 59
Flag Post
HP Recommended

TouchSmart IQ770 Wireless connection problems

GoBonnie,  So sorry to hear you have joined me... and many others by now, in this pitiful club.  I wish for better outcomes for others, who like us, thought the TouchDummy was a good purchase.   I find it difficult to justify any loyalty to HP products more for lack of support than for sending up the trial balloons as though they are rough weather tested. They should be better able to support products purchased by early adopters who  place faith in their intentions. I wish you the best in your future purchases... but I would not suggest the "new and improved TouchSmart" to anyone who  values their money and time.
0 Kudos
brianuk04 Top Student
Top Student
9 0 0
Message 42 of 59
Flag Post
HP Recommended

For what its worth - my 2.5yr old hp770uk is in PC World to have Windows 7 (just added) removed and Vista re installed. Then I guess if it again dosent connect wirelesly it will have to go.   ------------  Windows 7, I installed on C, I was sure this would cure the conectivity problem -----  No! it wouldnt even pick up my connection at all --------- so what with an additional problem with the sound card -------- terrible scratching noise fron left speaker when converting analog video 8 ------- it went in   ------ quite a good deal ----- £69.00 for labour  - advice on cost of parts before repair and refund of charge if not practicable.

BrianUK

0 Kudos
PhD Student
PhD Student
1475 35 112
Message 43 of 59
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If you're running Windows Vista SP2, there is a patch for USB patch for NVIDIA chipsets

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/975163/ 

If you're running Windows 7, install this patch

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Lockups-Freezes-Hangs/Driver-update-for-Win7-USB-issue-on-nVidia-chipse...

0 Kudos
ANTDADDY Tutor
Tutor
22 0 1
Message 44 of 59
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the consideration, but this applies to the problem of lost wireless connectivity and its solution in what way? I have come to know this problem with this piece of HP equipment well, but do not profess to be a microsoft technician, and suspect most others who have lost money on the above referenced paper weight are not either.

The links describe a user "repeatedly connecting and disconnecting a USB device"... when none of us began by physically attaching anything to a USB port, since the touchdummies have (had) on-board wireless (with an obvious failure time bomb feature) included with the purchase.  If HP has an actual solution, they should try providing a plain english reference document specific to this product failure. Wording might actually include " to address the rather expensive failings of our touchdummy experiment foisted upon those who trusted us, we have found a way to fix the loss of wireless connectivity promised, and briefly experienced by the early adopters of our product.  If your unit is one of the thousands which spontaneously lost the ability to connect to the internet or wireless networks, you can use a WORKING computer to download the following fix, or send an email to request a physical copy of the fix.  For those of you who also lost the use of the seldom used on-board CD/DVD drive, the fix is available on a flash drive/card. We apologize for your $2000 plus inconvenience."

I would dare say most who have made this consumer error have moved on to products which work, better educated as customers, or former customers, of HP.  Certainly, some will buy HP product(s) in the future, but they, like me, will  equally be more likely to purchase from an HP competitor than prior to this experience. HP has simply been too tone deaf to create opportunity out of catastrophy. If they were as intrusive in the area of proactively addressing problems customers bring to their attention as is the "update" software associated with the products, they would truly earn and retain customer loyalty.

Again, thank you for bringing attention to the links. Though I will respond to activity on this link (that is courteous), I like most others, no longer expect a real solution to appear from HP. I am several computers removed from the glorified but inconvenient  and limited, guestroom TV/backup storage that is the TOUCHDUMMY.

0 Kudos
PhD Student
PhD Student
1475 35 112
Message 45 of 59
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Originally, a lot of users were waiting for this fix to be published. It's published alright, but it's empty.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973208

There were also these patches

http://www.mskbfiles.com/usbport.sys.php

This USB patch is higher in number so I would think it would include the fixes in the link above

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/975163

If you go to Device Manager, you will find that this is an NVIDIA chipset system. When a system goes in or wakes up from standby, usb devices are moved from one USB controller to the next. So in essence, you can think of it as devices being plugged in and out coming out of sleep states.

From looking at the Device Manager, View devices by Connection, there is a USB Generic Hub and the Wireless LAN is connected to that hub.

[NVIDIA EHCI] - [NVIDIA OHCI] - [Generic Hub] - [WLAN device]

0 Kudos
arizonaoutlaw Honor Student
Honor Student
1 0 1
Message 46 of 59
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I too have been fighting this issue with connectivity.  I did the dreaded restore wiping out everything with the hope that all would work when it came back up.  Nope!  What I did notice over the last week was that my 802.11b/g wireless lan was MISSING from the device manager list.  I know I never removed it, but I did remove some other things that were from the installation of SP2 that were known issues for causing connectivity problems.  Try this as it worked for me today to get my lan back

Start

All Programs

PC Help and Tools

Recovery Manager

Next

No to program recovery NEXT

YES to driver recovery NEXT

Find the 802.11 and click on it. 

It will reinstall and the computer has to restart

This DID NOT WORK for me the first time.  I had to do it again, but it did come back to my device list the 2nd time and now I can connect. I created a new restore point on my computer and hopefully after several reboots, it won't disappear.

I sincerely hope that this is the last time I will need this forum.  I was an early buyer for Touchsmart and love my HP laptop.  Having owned Gateway, Dell & Toshiba, I can say I have had less issues with these two HP's than any others.

ArizonaOutlaw

halldorjorgen Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 47 of 59
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I just came accross this thread as I am having wireless connectivity probelms with my IQ522 wich has a ralink WLAN device. Is this a general problem with HP wireless on IQ's. I'm running windows 7 and my network needs to be deleted, router reset and then maybe I have a connection. It tells my in the diagnostics that the wirelss security type does not match with the router (Zyxel) - but I have about 12 machines on this netowork and none of them have this kind of problem.

Help, anyone?

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
meenaz786 Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 48 of 59
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks ArizonaOutlaw for helping me our.

I upgraded from Windows Vista to 7 on my HP touchsmart.

After a few days I lost my wireless connectivity (maybe I de-installed something else and the 802.11 lan was missing from device managers list.

I recoverd it using your steps. 

0 Kudos
Augusta09 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 49 of 59
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have Touchdummy 600xt running Windows 7 Premium, 64-bit.  When I can connect, it is wireless using an AT&T USB Mercury air card in a Cradlepoint MBR1000 router.  Have had this pc for four months.  Internet connection has to be re-connected so many times that I lost count.  My husband uses an HP Elite PC, we use a wireless HP Photosmart c4780 Printer, and I have an IPAQ 110 PDA.  All three of these devices have NO PROBLEMs with internet connection.  The problem is this $1900 futuristic touchdummy experiment that HP won't improve to enable constant wireless internet connection.  

Device Manager shows no hardware problems.  Drivers are updated.  I have already tossed the wireless keyboard that stopped working a month ago and now use a USB keyboard.  I now want to sell this PC but with known problem, who will buy it?  I am returning to laptops and have just ordered a new one.  It is an HP because I have used their laptops in the past with great success.  Should never have changed horses in midstream!!

If anyone finally discovers a workable solution to maintaining a wireless internet connection to a Touchsmart all-in-one PC, I would appreciate hearing about it.

Full-time RVer and lovin' it!!!
0 Kudos
ANTDADDY Tutor
Tutor
22 0 1
Message 50 of 59
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Augusta,

I am so sorry to hear about your problem. I had hopes (foolishly) that HP would have a correction for the fatal flaws those early adopters among us experienced with the TOUCHDUMMY lineup. I won't rehash all the previous posts because they are in this thread... and I have moved on from the $2500 paper weight/barely TV capable TOUCHDUMMY in the guest bedroom.

What you will see among the posts is one consistent message... HP could care less about known issues and does not even respond to the problem though this thread is on their own "HP SUPPORT FORUM". Go figure, but it is a sure sign they have every resource needed to identify the problem and the anger. Maybe this is a forum for damage control and they think if we vent here, we won't go elsewhere with the complaints.

Maybe you should try this. Read all entries on this thread.  Write your true experience out in detail on this thread including your raw feelings about the unit and the company which still pushes this failed experiment on the public as though it passes the smell test. THEN visit some sites such as PC World, CNet, ZDNet and others which review computer equipment... and post your own review outside the "HP (non)SUPPORT FORUM".  If you enter your model in the search field along with the word, REVIEWS, you will find links which indicate areas where you may find the opportunity to reply to the host review and/or post your own.

Maybe you will help someone else avoid such a hugely expensive mistake, because most of the "REVIEWS" I have seen are much like the ones I saw before I bought mine... Happy reviews which did not involve long time (in this case anything over about 7 months) ownership.  Unfortunately, the minor glitches which come and go intermittently, become permanent right about the time the warranty expires and this thread reflects the result... new model, new victim, same problem.

If you do follow the advice here, please return and tell the TOUCHDUMMY Club where you posted so we can back you up with a historical perspective for the disbelievers. Thank you for the update on your experience with the "New and Improved TOUCHDUMMY" where form does not match function! Perhaps one day the need for this thread will die because HP finally gets it... or the TOUCHDUMMY experiment is dead.

Yours In Commiseration

John

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation