Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question
TouchSmart IQ770 Wireless connection problems
Replies (58)

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Top Student
Message 51 of 59 (2,370 Views)

Anyone selling their Touchsmart?

I have gotten everything back up to snuff on my TouchDummy except for the fan.  I have been cleaning it and it will last for about a month and then shut the whole system down when it stops. 

If anyone has a TouchDummy they aren't using anymore and is willing to sell the fan, PLEASE let me now.  I'll purchase it.  And if someone finds ANYONE that sells the fans used in this piece of junk, I'd love to know that too.  So far, I can't find anyone that sells this fan.  Even contacting the manufacturer doesn't bring a response.

Honor Student
Message 52 of 59 (2,330 Views)

Re: Anyone selling their Touchsmart?

go to www.pchub.com i have bought parts for mine there

Grad Student
Message 53 of 59 (2,255 Views)

First of all, it's not a TouchDummy.

I would contact HP about this because it's a hardware issue, but first I would uninstall and reinstall the driver from Device Manager and try it from Safe mode with networking.

They most likely will send you a box to send your computer off for repair.

Call them up at 800-408-5408

I have more HP devices than you'd expect.
1 HP TouchPad 32 GB with Android
2 HP Touchsmarts (310-1000z and IQ527)
2 HP Printers (J6480 and J5750)
1 Laptop (HP DV6253CL)

Have at least some experience in each of those devices, and i'll do my best to help you.
Kudos if I helped!
Top Student
Message 54 of 59 (2,239 Views)

[ Edited ]

[text removed] Most of us have been in contact with HP for HOURS. If they have had any experience like mine, they've been told it will cost about $300 to ship and get it looked at to see if it MIGHT be fixed.  HP graciously gave me the name of two of their approved repair sites. I was thrilled with this info, until I called the numbers given.  The first one only repaired hp printers. The second one only repairs networks. So much for hp help. You'd know the responses from hp if you'd read the thread.

I'd still like to buy a TouchSmart for parts, but only for parts.

Top Student
Message 55 of 59 (2,074 Views)

Re: TouchSmart IQ770 Wireless connection problems

Sometimes I get in my own way. I've put down the Kool-Aid and tried to see some logic in my problems with my Touchsmart.

First, I loved my Touchsmart. It was fun to be able to use the computer and watch TV on the same screen. Small TV but that was okay. I was devestated when it died and I thought my purchase was beyond useless. Plus, the "support" I got from HP really sucked.  But, after wallowing for awhile, I decided to try again.

I did an advanced search on Google with "Touchsmart IQ770" within the last 30 days and came up with a bunch of stuff. As HP had mentioned that it would cost around $300 to possibly fix my Touchsmart, I was thrilled to find a refurbished one on Overstock/Auctions for $180. It seems that Best Buy refurbishes old machines and sells them. I purchased it and swapped out my dead fan and I had my Touchsmart back. I didn't know how good that would feel.

So then, I had 1.5 machines. Not bad, but wouldn't it be great to have 2 whole Touchsmarts! I recontacted Best Buy. (I had previously contacted them about fixing it, but I must have gotten the idiot tech since he just looked at me and said no.) This time, I got someone awake and he said it would be about $150 plus postage. Now that would be do-able and give me two machines.

Since the fix offered in this forum for my wireless connection had worked, all I needed now was a new fan.  On a whim, I ran "HP fan" and came across one listed by part number, not by brand (Sunov), but without a picture. I decided to contact HP once more. I must be in my "good moon" phase now because I got someone who knew something. He verified the part number to be the same as the one on eBay and in a panic, I purchased it. I'm still happy to have another working fan that will allow me to have 2 full Touchsmarts as opposed to one and a waste. But if I hadn't panicked and would have Googled the part number, I could have purchased one for have the price.

I've since noticed that parts are available for the early Touchsmarts. So if one of the other hardware issues happen, I should be able to fix them, OR I now have the option of sending it through Best Buy. And grousing is a ditch I'm not longer stuck in.

So, now I'm eagerly awaiting my fan and the fact that I will have two working Touchsmarts. Mine are no longer "touchdummies."

Tutor
Message 56 of 59 (2,060 Views)

Hello Bonnie,

I am so happy you found solutions to your former Touchdummy issues. Your efforts deserve a round of applause and you deserve the rewards of your efforts.  HP owes you a new unit and a commercialSmiley Wink   I wish you the best, and HP better customer service to such loyal people.

Top Student
Message 57 of 59 (1,722 Views)

Dear arizonaoutlaw: This was such a great solution! I've used it for over a year. Unfortunately, I have to use it 2-3 times now to get my wireless back every time after I'm doing a fresh boot. Just wondering if you have any further hints. (I now create a restore point before I shut down, but power outages lately have spurred me to ask for additional hints.)

Student
Message 58 of 59 (1,484 Views)

I found a unique solution to my wireless problem on the IQ770.  It had been broken for probably 18 months and I just fixed it!

After 6 months I gave up on the bluetooth keyboard and mouse (the mouse had such an obvious lag to it that it was downright painful) and I installed a Microsoft bluetooth keyboard and mouse.  Everything worked fine for a year until I started having wireless connectivity issues.  Figuring I had the same problem as everyone else, I bought a USB adapter and had been using it ever since.  Also around the same time as the wireless network card giving out I would get a "USB failure" error message on every reboot, which essentially rendered one of the three USB ports inoperable (it was random which one, but for the times when it was the wireless USB card it always meant rebooting again to make it work.)

Now, on to my solution.  I was troubleshooting an issue where the CPU utilization was pegged at 100% for hours on end (I suspected a virus).  I was looking through control panel to see all the software I had installed and I noticed the HP bluetooth stack.  I distinctly remembered removing that a long time ago (when I installed the MS one) but there it was.

I uninstalled that, and my on-board wireless network card starts working again and I am not getting any USB errors on reboot.

I don't know whether this solution will work for others, but I'm once again pleased with the Touchsmart!

Kurt

PhD Student
Message 59 of 59 (1,469 Views)

KPIQ770 wrote:

After 6 months I gave up on the bluetooth keyboard and mouse (the mouse had such an obvious lag to it that it was downright painful) and I installed a Microsoft bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

Kurt

FWIW the HP supplied KBB and Mouse are RF,not Bluetooth

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation