cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
bpmc
Level 1
7 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Touchsmart 300-1017 hard drive size limitation?

HP Recommended

I recently inhereted a (completely unused) Touchsmart 300-1017.  I absolutely love the compluter, but the 320GB hard drive is starting to leave me feeling a little cramped for space & I was wondering what the largest size drive is that I can install in its place.

Thanks in advance!

Brian

4 REPLIES 4
Big_Dave
Level 15
28,006 14,809 1,811 2,977
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Unused after five years?  You might need to replace the CMOS battery that only has a shelf like of 3-5 years.  There are lots of pieces to remove to get to the battery so you might want to have a repair shop replace the battery.

This HP How-to article will show you how to replace the hard drive.

Try a 2 TB non-advanced format 3.5" SATA II hard drive.  SATA II is the maximum speed supported.  There is a chance that the BIOS might limit the size of the hard drive.  If that happens then try a 650 GB hard drive.

You might need this bootable Cyberlink utility if you have a problem using the HP recovery media.

Cyberlink recovery CD for hard drives. When you have created this CD, insert it into the system that is unable to boot, restart it and wait until you see a window with a green check mark.  Then remove the CD and insert your first Recovery DVD.  Restart the PC and go through the process of installing the Operating System again.  Hopefully it should install properly this time.

1. Backup your data to external media.
  2. Create the HP external recovery media.
  3. Replace the hard drive.
  4. Boot up the HP recovery media and load the new hard drive.
HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z590, i7-11700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
bpmc
Author
Level 1
7 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yeah... my dad bought it on a whim & never got around to taking it out of its box.  When he died late last year, I found it among his affects while preparing the estate sale.

The battery was a given, but from your post, I assume I can install someting as large as a 2TB?

Big_Dave
Level 15
28,006 14,809 1,811 2,977
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

You can try a 2 TB hard drive but some of the BIOS limitations in older PCs may limit the HD size. Know what the return policy is before you buy the HD just to be on the safe side.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z590, i7-11700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
bpmc
Author
Level 1
7 2 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Great Dave... thank for the help!

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation