cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Transfer Files from old computer

HP Recommended
Pavilion Elite HPE
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I purchased a new HP computer and want to transfer files, programs, photos, emails, etc. from my old computer.  How do I do it?  I am not a computer expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I know it can be done rather easily.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
23,312 22,977 2,662 9,220
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Les, welcome to the forum.

You are correct it is easy to do.  However, only files and personal data can be transferred; not programs.

You can use Windows Easy Transfer.  Here is a guide to finding an Easy Transfer Cable.  I could give you better instructions if I knew which OS'es are involved, old computer to new computer.

Signature:
HP TouchPad - 1.2 GHz; 1 GB memory; 32 GB storage; WebOS/CyanogenMod 11(Kit Kat)

Custom build: Corsair 750D Airflow (Full Tower); MSI MEG Z390 ACE; i9-9900K processor (OC'd 5.025); Corsair H150i cooler; Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 memory ( 32 GB ); MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio video card; MSI GH70 Immerse LED Headset; 3- Corsair QL140 RGB Fans w/Commander Pro and Lighting Node Core; Samsung 970 Pro 512 GB; Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB

HP Spectre 360 Convertible; i7-7560U; 16 GB memory; Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 640; 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD; 13.3" diagonal 4K UHD UWVA eDP BrightView WLED-backlit multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass (3840 x 2160); Windows 10 Pro 64 with Windows Ink

HP Photosmart 7855 AIO

**Click the Thumbs Up+ to say 'Thanks' and the 'Accept as Solution' if I have solved your problem.**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

I am not an HP employee.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16
Level 16
26,128 26,061 2,388 5,668
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

PhotographerLes

Actually, you CAN transfer apps from one PC to another, just don't expect any MS product to help you do that.

LapLink makes a line of PC Mover products that allow you to migrate stuff from one PC to another.

Their Pro version supports migrating apps -- I know, because I have used it.

Understand, though, that happens with two limitations:

1) Newer OS -- if the target machine has a newer OS than the source machine, the app might not work.

2) Licensing -- if the app is licensed for only one PC, while you CAN transfer it to another, you then have to REMOVE the app from the first PC. If you don't, the version on the new PC is not legal, and will most likely get "deactivated" at some point and refuse to work.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
========================================================================
If you feel my suggestions helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol to say thanks!

If they helped resolve your issue, please click "Accept As Solution" to help others find similar information.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Highlighted
Level 5
141 127 9 85
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Click the "Next" button and then click "An External Hard Disk or USB Flash Drive." Click "This is My Old Laptop" and then click the "Next" button. Enter a password into the "Password" and "Confirm Password" fields to secure the data you are transferring and then click the "Save" button.

Step 1

Sign in to Windows using your new Laptop and then press the "Windows" key to open your Windows Start screen.

Step 2

Enter "Easy Transfer" in the search field and then click "Windows Easy Transfer" from the app search results to open Windows Easy Transfer.

Step 3

Click the "Next" button and then click "An External Hard Disk or USB Flash Drive."

Step 4

Click "This is My New Laptop," click "No" and then click "My Old Laptop is Running Windows 7 or Windows 8."

Step 5

Attach your portable storage device to your old Laptop.

Step 6

Sign in to Windows on your old Laptop, press "Windows," enter "Easy Transfer" and click "Windows Easy Transfer" from the search results.

Step 7

Click the "Next" button and then click "An External Hard Disk or USB Flash Drive."

Step 8

Click "This is My Old Laptop " and then click the "Next" button.

Step 9

Enter a password into the "Password" and "Confirm Password" fields to secure the data you are transferring and then click the "Save" button.

Step 10

Save your Easy Transfer file to the portable storage device you are using for the transfer. It may take a while to complete the save to your storage device, depending on how many files are being transferred. Once complete, safely remove the storage device from your old Laptop.

Step 11

Attach your portable storage device to your new Laptop.

Step 12

Click the "Next" button on the Windows Easy Transfer window, open the Easy Transfer file you saved to your portable storage device, enter your password and then press "Enter". Once the transfer has finished you can click "See What Was Transferred" to view a report of all the data you transferred. Click the "Program Report" tab to view a list of programs you had installed on your old Laptop.

Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The maunal solution of the basic work backups, and it's working for basic file transfer too.I've to connect a sufficiently for the large external hard drive we share wonderful for the drag-and-drop all the file have to learning for the old device system.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16
Level 16
26,128 26,061 2,388 5,668
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

To comment on the recent additions to this thread ...

Windows Easy Transfer does NOT, repeat NOT, transfer applications from one PC to another -- it only transfers settings and data.

You have to use third-party products to transfer apps.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation