cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
5 3 0 0
Message 1 of 16
Flag Post

Triple Monitor setup for e9270t

HP Recommended

I have two 24-inch monitors running at 1920x1200 on my e9270t with GTX260 (1792MB), W7 64-bit. I have an unused 23-inch monitor I'd like to use. I didn't think I could just slap any old video card in. Recommendations?

This is not a gaming rig, I just like lots of real estate for surfing, debugging, etc.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Level 15
28,006 27,540 1,810 5,047
Message 2 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

If you google the internet you will not find many if any NVIDIA video cards supporting three monitors.

Look at the ATI video cards and ATI's Eye Infinity.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
5 3 0 0
Message 3 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I should have been a bit more descriptive ...

I want to keep the GTX260 and add a separate card to drive the third monitor. Can I do that? Which (Nvidia) card is good for that task?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Message 4 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

The NVIDIA PCI-E 1x video cards are rare and I don't know if the cards that are available will work with the motherboard in your PC. Adding another video card will proabably mean a power supply upgrade.  At this point, I am back to my original recommendation for the ATI solution.

Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 5 0 0
Message 5 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I just received my HP Pavilion Elite HPE-450t.   HP put a graphic card into it which they said would run three monitors.  That's what they were asked to configure for me and what this card is to do.  But how?  Can't get it hooked up.

Question is... exactly how do I hook the three up? 

The back of each HP monitor (2 are 2311z and 1 is 2310e) has three ports..VGA (blue), DVI-D (white), and HDMI (black)

The graphics card has three ports.. DVI (white), HDMI (black), and DP   There is an adapter for VGA but is doesn't seem to fit into the DP port.

I have connected like ends so DVI to DVI.... and HDMI to HDMI and have gotten two monitors up and running.  Now exactly how do I hook up the third monitor to the graphic card.  The GC had one slot left..the DP, and the third monitor has three slots: VGA, DVI and HDMI.   

What do I do to hook the third monitor up?  Exactly what adapter do I need?  I think they sent the wrong one because nothing fits into the DP slot.  And exactly what cable do I need..they sent none.  I want to go out and puchase the correct cable.

Then once I get the things hooked up correctly do I need to do anything software setting wise?  I am already up with two, will the third just come on in?  I couldn't be so lucky!!

Thanks for your help.  I am new at multiple monitors and HP tech support seems to be as well.

This card, however, may help the other person wanting to know what kind of GC to get. 

I found a site onlline today that suggests using HD 5870.  I don't know how much better it is than the HD 5570 that  HP just gave me???  Site is:  httpP://hardocp.com/news/2009/10/13/eyefinity_update  

The site also had a link to a pdf on high end gaming use of multiple monitors, up to 8 or 9, configuration with the 5570.  This site may help the other persons question.

Basicaly I first need to know what cables etc and what ports to hook into to get three monitors to work.  

Thanks,

Really frustrated. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Message 6 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

You might run into a problem with three monitors using the 5570.  Some makes of the 5570 will only support two monitors even though the video card has three ports. Sometimes the DVI and DP ports are shared so you can't run three monitors.  Check with the manufacturer of the card and see if more than two active ports (three monitors in your case) are supported.  I know ATI requires that one port must be the DP port  for three monitors to work but if the card doesn't support three active ports then you will need an ATI card that will support 3 active ports.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 5 0 0
Message 7 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the info.  I have been reading on blogs that even though you can physicaly plug in the three monitors that three don't often work..which is what you just explained.   If it was to work do I need a DP to VGA adaptor then a cable that is VGA to VGA? 

And, any ideas as to how to reach the API manufacturer?  They have a website however no "contact" area and no phone number that I can find.  Maybe you tech geeks and experts have a way of finding a phone number or way to e-mail them???

BTW the URL I gave had an opps of an extra capital P that needs to be removed to get that sit.  The site is neat and describes many radion cards that suport multiple monitors....but not how to hook them up and get them running.  Those who are looking for graphics cards that support  mulitple monitors for high end gaming should look there.  I don't do high end games, just need three monitors with active stock charts and a streaming video feed to work.

Thanks,

Deb..and still frustrated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Message 8 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Book,

You stated that HP gave you the card so get HP to clarify if the 5570 will support three active monitors.

What video ports does the 5570 have on the back?

You might be "beating a dead horse" if the card will not support three monitors.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 5 0 0
Message 9 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I called HP and asked if they had a three monitor set up, and was told yes they could customize one.  Told HP that I am a Mac person and am new to the PC world.  Had never run more than one monitor, but that the software I need to run takes three monitors and likes PC's better. Told them the ram, speed, etc that I needed to run, along with the 3 monitors.  They said they could easily provide a system to do that.  I asked it directions for hook up come with the system, and was told it's easy, you will be able to easily tell which hooks to what.  It will be out of the boxes and hooked up in no time.  It's easy. All the parts will be there and since you know computers, even though a different platform, it will be easy, you can do it.

Well, not that easy! Or I am a total idiot.  Not a good intoduction to the PC world!!!!  Gee, with Macs all the parts come in one shipment and ALL the pieces are there and all the cables are there and even easy to follow directions come with...All seems to be not so with HP!!!   Shipment after shipment came and was piled into one corner until the final box, the cpu arrived.

The ports on the back of the monitors and ports on the ATI Radeon HD 5570 2GB DDR2 graphics card are as follows.  I have managed to hook DVI to DVI and HDMI to HDMI and have two monitors up and running.  Now the third is the pain in the.....  It's been over a week of headache.  How do I hook them up?  5 or 6 calls now to HP tech support and it's not on their screen so they don't know.  Nice!!!!  That's why I am asking for more expert help.  You guys.  If I can't get this resolved in a day or two, the whole system is going back to HP and I will never ever ever ever use HP again, ever!!!

The back of each HP monitor (2 are 2311z and 1 is 2310e) has three ports..VGA (blue), DVI-D (white), and HDMI (black)

The graphics card has three ports.. DVI (white), HDMI (black), and DP   There is an adapter for VGA but is doesn't seem to fit into the DP port.  Nothing they gave me fits into the DP port.  I have just come back from both Office Max and Office Depot and they don't have any cables or adaptors with a DP port. I have absolutely no clue.  All I know is that I was promised it would be easy to set up and all the parts would be here, and it would run three monitors!

HP put in this GC based on my asking for a working three monitor system, so at this point I presume that this card will handle three monitors.(gee, I guess that's a lot to presume though)  That's what HP reads off their screen. (they can read and are polite, just don't know anything)  No one there at HP seems to have actually hooded up three monitors before. 

Help me know how to hood up this mess and get it working, please.

More and more frustrated every day, guess it shows how much I love HP at this point!!

(And the jerk at HP who gave me this cpu with the speaker setting deep within the software turned off just isn't funny!  No not the mute and not the volume but the actual speaker on and off that controls the jacks was set to off in the software....that took a week to find and fix.  And of course, it wasn't on their screen, so HP tech support couldn't help!  It was only by accident I found that setting!)   So far I think I'm doing quite well for a Mac person.

OK, sorry, back to the point..how do I hook up the GC to the third monitor and get it to work?

Deb

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Message 10 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Deb,

Please post a picture of the ports on your video card. I have some ideas on what can be tried but I need to know what ports are on the ATI 5570 supplied by HP.

I am not confident that the OEM 5570 supplied by HP can even support three monitors.  You need to get HP to confirm that the model of ATI 5570 that you have in your PC can support three active monitors.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation