Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Honor Student
Message 1 of 7 (2,560 Views)

Trouble changing the case fan

Hi,

I have tried two different 92 mm case fans for the replacement of my Compaq Presario SR5414UK and after installing both of them, I get a "system fan has failed message" despite the fan working, the system cannot recognise it. I believe that this is to do with the computer not allowing below certain rpm (I need a slower one as they are less noisy). I tried a 80 mm fan with 200rpm speed that did not give the same message. Since I upgraded to windows 7, I cannot update the BIOS to see if that made any difference as the current BIOS settings do not allow any changes for fans (nothing about fans or heat at all). The fan that came with the computer is so noisy and it does my head in. I really want to find the way around this. Any help would be gretaly appreciated.

Thanks

Ali

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 7 (2,554 Views)

Re: Trouble changing the case fan

[ Edited ]
Ali, you could try clearing the CMOS (prn, see moss).  The CMOS stores the settings for the BIOS.  It could be that clearing it will allow the BIOS to recognize the new fan.  Anyway, it is worth a try.
-----------------------------------------
Signature:

HP TouchPad - 1.2 GHz; 1 GB memory; 32 GB storage; WebOS/CyanogenMod 11(Kit Kat)

HP Omen X; i7-6700K; 16 GB DDR4 2133; GTX 1070; 256 GB SSD M.2; Win 10 Home

HP Spectre 360 Convertible; i7-7560U; 16 GB memory; Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 640; 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD; 13.3" diagonal 4K UHD UWVA eDP BrightView WLED-backlit multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass (3840 x 2160); Windows 10 Pro 64 with Windows Ink

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up+ to say 'Thanks' and the 'Accept as Solution' if I have solved your problem.**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 3 of 7 (2,547 Views)

Are you sure you want to run at 200 RPM? This is substantially lower than normal.
Honor Student
Message 4 of 7 (2,541 Views)

Hi,

thanks, I will try

Honor Student
Message 5 of 7 (2,540 Views)

Hi,

Sorry, I meant 2000rpm

Associate Professor
Message 6 of 7 (2,508 Views)

Hi, are sure you plugged the 3pin cable from the new fan to the same 3pin fan header connector on the motherboard from which you took the old fan?

If that 3pin header isn't used it gives this error and it's kinda annoying.

Student
Message 7 of 7 (2,389 Views)

I had exactly the same problem and ended up taking the PC to a store. I queried the fact that the new case I ordered online has only 2 wires as opposed to the 3 on the original. The store have said this is more than likely the problem as the third wire sends a message to the motherboard. Don't know if your attempted replacements have 2 or 3 wires, but if it's 2, maybe that's it. I've now ordered another fan with 3 wires...I hope it works!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation