Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Snaptastic Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Troubleshoot Z600 workstation: unexpected poweroff

We have a Z600 at my workplace which powers off unexpectedly after some time, usually a few hours. I have not been able to "catch" it happening, but I come back to the machine and it is powered down. I have done a bit of investigation so far but have not been able to get to the root of the problem:

- Updated bios, problem still occurs (I saw mention of bios updates fixing an unexpected poweroff problem)

- Checked temperatures during stress testing, seem normal (rules out heat problems)

- Tried removing extra HDs, still get poweroff (since I suspected bad power supply - does not necessarily rule it out)

- Tried MemTest86, still get poweroff (indicates that it is not an OS/software problem). I have not seen any failures detected by memtest.

- Looked blink codes on the LED on the back of the PSU after a shutdown, LED does not blink. I got this info from here: http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c01722872#N105F8

My next step would be to try swapping the power supply from another known working Z600 machine which we have. It looks like a straightforward procedure, although the machines have different CPU configurations (2 CPUs in the problematic machine vs 1 CPU in the good machine - perhaps the capacities are different).

Can anyone suggest any other troubleshooting steps to take before I put it in for service? Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES
Dean
Dean
12391 582 1536
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post

I would try a known good PSU.

0 Kudos
Snaptastic Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post

Unfortunately the exact same behaviour occurs with a known good PSU. The good PSU comes from another z600 machine which is completely stable. What next?

0 Kudos
Snaptastic Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post

I might have made some progress: I moved the machine to a different room, and the problem seems to have gone away. It has been running for 24+ hours at 100% cpu with no problems. So, it might just be a dodgy power splitter. The office is completely new so it could also be a problem with the power socket at the wall. I will investigate more and report back.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation