cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Rick_RLCSR
Level 1
14 11 0 0
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Troubleshooting: Adding SSD and then booting from it

I have a ProDesk 600 G1, recently purchased with a single 500GB Hard Drive.

Before I migrate all my programs from the old machine this is replacing (some of which require LONG installs), I wanted to install an SSD and then use it as the boot disk.

I purchased a Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB drive. I hooked it up to the system (SATA1), booted and used Win 8.1 control panel to format the SSD (Master Boot Record,  like the HD).

Shut the machine down, restarted 

I  started up the computer, the computer beeped and I got a system message "IDE Device Failed"

At the bottom of the screen, in an otherwise black field, was a message that said: "F1: Boot" so I did that and it seemed to start up fine.  

I saw a note in a thread about confirming AHCI, which I thought I did this way:

1. Start Up

2. Hit <ESC>

3. F10

4. At the top menu, select storage

5. A short window shows up showing: "SATA Emulation: AHCI"...if you select it you can change it to IDE, but I did not change so it is still AHCI.

After machine started, and I installed Samsung's cloning software, and it recognized the disk and cloned my primary HD disk to the SSD. I shut down the machine.

I switched the SSD to the SATA0 port on the board, and put the HD in SATA1. 

Restarted the machine, and got the "IDE Device Failed" message again, along with the "F1: Boot" message. So I did that (i.e., pressed F1) and the machine booted (from the HD).

I shut the machine down.

Disconnected the HD (just to check), restarted the machine,  "IDE Device Failed" message again, along with the "F1: Boot" message.  This time there when I did press F1, I got a "No System Disk" message, so I put the HP Win 8.1 Restore Disk in the DVD Drive, and it booted from that.

Tried to install from that DVD onto the SSD. When I get to the part where it says "Where do you want to install Windows" it shows the SSD, which I select, and I am told "Windows cannot be installed to that disk." When I click "Show Details" it says: "Windows cannot be on this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS Menu"

So...two questions:  What is with the IDE message?

And is the ProDesk 600 SFF disabled from installing an OS on an SSD? Or do I need to do something differently with the Win 8.1 Restore disk software?

Maybe I need to solve the IDE message issue first, re-utilize the Migration software, and then try to boot from it? I have a feeling that is the source of the problems, so anything you can help with would be appreciated!

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Level 15
28,004 27,539 1,807 5,035
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi,

You have a business class PC so your issue should be posted on the HP Enterprise Business Forum.

HP Photosmart 6520
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 2K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
0 Kudos
Rick_RLCSR
Level 1
14 11 0 0
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thanks....didn't realize that! But will do so right away! 

0 Kudos
Level 15
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi Rick,

I am still thinking over some possibilities for your issue. hmmmm

I haven't seen the BIOS parameters for your PC however I would try the following:

Disable Secure boot in the BIOS.

Disconnect the hard drive and then connect the SSD to that SATA port. Leave the HD disconnected for now.

Now boot up the HP recovery media and try to loading the SSD.

HP Photosmart 6520
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 2K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
0 Kudos
Rick_RLCSR
Level 1
14 11 0 0
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Running to an appt and then will try and report back. Thx for your help (and I also posted in Business Enterprise,although it seems that board is not as active as this one).

0 Kudos
Rick_RLCSR
Level 1
14 11 0 0
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi, Dave. Secure boot was already disabled in BIOS

I disconnected the hard drive, connected the SSD to SATA0 (that originally had the hard drive, and left the HD disconnected.

I booted from the DVD, it went through its start up procedures and it recognized the drive (when it said "Where do you want to install Windows 8.1), I selected the drive -- which was one NFTS partition -- and got the message "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an exsting one. For more information, see the Setup log files."

I have no idea what to do, but am continuing on my search to make it work.

If you have any suggestions, I would welcome it. Please!!

Samsung 840EVO is a pretty standard reliable SSD...is it that HP wants to require us to buy SSD from them (160GB at almost $500!!). 

Thanks for your help!!!

0 Kudos
Rick_RLCSR
Level 1
14 11 0 0
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Next approach: SSD was the only connected drive; I booted from the DVD and went through the start of the Win 8.1 install. When I selected the SSD as the install location, I got the message "We couldn't install Windows in the location you shose. Please check your media drive. Here's more informatoin about what happened: 0x80070057."

So I deleted the partition shown (still in the Windows install program), and clicked on "New" which then created 4 partitions. I chose the largest (450 gb), and basically got the same message: "Windows could not format a partition on disk 1. The error occured while preparing the partition selected for installation.  Error Code 0x80070057."

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Level 15
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi,

What type of Windows 8 media are you using? retail? upgrade?

Are you sure that the media is windows 8.1?

Be sure to unplug everything except the keyboard, monitor and mouse.

You might need to open up the RUN window and execute a diskpart clean function on the SSD.  If the BIOS is set to UEFI mode then the SSD must be formatted GPT.

HP Photosmart 6520
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rick_RLCSR
Level 1
14 11 0 0
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

You: What type of Windows 8 media are you using? retail? upgrade?

Me: I am using the Windows 8.1 Install/Restore disk that came with the computer. I actually used it before on the HD that came with the computer (Originally had Win 7 on it)

You:  You might need to open up the RUN window and execute a diskpart clean function on the SSD.  If the BIOS is set to UEFI mode then the SSD must be formatted GPT.

Me: It is unclear to me where I would find if BIOS is set to UEFI...any suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
Level 15
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi,

I don't know if the Windows 8.1 media that you have contains the correct drivers but give it a go anyway. 

You will have to look around in the BIOS. Usually there is a Legacy mode enable or disable selection. When Legacy mode is disabled then you are in UEFI mode.

HP Photosmart 6520
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation