cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
omeomy
6 4 0 0
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Turbo boost working louder and more often since update Windows 10 from WIN7

Example: Pavilion 65xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Hi All in HP Forum

Machine:   5 years old ran HP PAVILION DV6 with 8GB Ram, 2.3Ghz processor/ turbo boost/ 650 GB storage HDD drive
Perfect machine ran well with WIN7
After Windows 10 update from windows 7 no black or blue screen, no freezing, update went smooth except
Spinning loud noise and heat generated is medium to hot, not boiling by the cpu I guess.
Evenings CPU high not not too bad 2-10%-40%/DISK runs sometimes for a short time at 100%/MEMORY 30%
high usage when Norton scans, when windows run background processes for example : synoptics touchpad/google/localhosts services/ taskmaster itself/Norton/ and windows updates too
disk usage high  - memory highest for Norton and google/ HP assistant (uninstalled it)

Memory check/disk checks/ scannow sfc/ disk cleanup show nothing wrongAll drivers updated/ anniversary update went okay and updates up to date.
HP Cool Sense installed? can be turned on or off but no available configurations and HP assistant installs but windows says it does not install correctly via windows installer. Uninstalled it.
Windows maintenance updated a drivers.

What can I do to calm the cpu /turbo boost clocking  daily and noisily. Should I chage BIOS settings? flash the BIOS?

Issue: I think Norton and processes want to run faster than the machine’s capability – or?
event viewer error 37 Kernel:
The speed of processor 0 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 29 seconds since the last report.

Any advice?
Thank you in advance

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Retired
Retired
8,121 8,112 484 927
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Greetings @omeomy

Thanks for your interest in HP Forums, 

I see you are not happy with the noise from the computer after upgrading to Windows 10. Kudos to you for thinking about BIOS. I would like to help you from here. 

There are few things that you can try to make the computer run faster and calmer, please find a few suggestions that I recommend you to try.

Computer running slow http://hp.care/2bBzk8O

Clean the vents on the computer with a blower, if the PC is getting too hot, the fan automatically runs faster, creating a lot of noise.

Disable to turbo boot. For the procedure, recommend you to search on www.youtube.com there are several videos which explain the procedure to tweak as well disable turbo boost.

You can also run HP Support Assistant to check for the latest drivers available for your computer and it would also let you know if there is a BIOS update meant for your computer. Refer http://hp.care/2fvNQNc

Note: If you updating the BIOS, make sure that you do not have any other devices connected to your computer apart from the power cord/adapter.

Let me know if this helped. 

Please click ‘Accepted Solution’ on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the ‘Thumbs Up’ Icon below.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
omeomy
6 4 0 0
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you Chimney_83

I checked out the You Tube videos and found some information

I reduced maximum power state in Power Management via Control Panel _Power options - advanced settings

I changed processor power management processor state maximum from 100% to 75%

Minimum processor state I left at 5% as I have no idea if I should change it at all.

Turbo boost is loud today on and off not all day fortunately but is cooler ! maybe I should go down to 50%,

I could not access the BIOS as start up is too fast.  I tried recovery settings but came to about 8 options and no UEF1 was listed - just safe mode - boot legging? among the options

MEANTIME I think I found the issue. Photoshop Elements 10 properties state it is not compatible with windows 10 !
I tried the troubleshooted and it said a paid fix was available. The fix is buy PSE 15

So maybe this is the cause of the noisy turbo boost that I never heard of in WIN7.

I will let you know how this works and if I can access BIOS and change the Turbo Boost settings downwards

This will take some time but I will reply after my ears recover

omeomy

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
8,121 8,112 484 927
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. 

Try to get your computer to the startup menu, instead of BIOS. The procedure is similar, instead of F10, keep tapping ESC on startup. 

From the startup menu, you can navigate to BIOS, system diagnostics and others. 

Also, if possible run a system test, if the HDD or memory has gone bad, it might take more resources making the computer loud.

Let me know if this helps, for further assistance please reply.

Please click ‘Accepted Solution’ on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the ‘Thumbs Up’ Icon below.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
omeomy
6 4 0 0
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Chimney_83

Disabled fast start up and your tip for pressing ESC key worked

I accessed the BIOS

Memory Test Complete

Hard Disk Test - short version showed nothing wrong

Did not attempt the LONG Test

In BIOS I found diagnotistics - only 5 items listed 
Options limited to enable or disable FAN  no speed configurations

no turbo boost option.

Might be a primitive BIOS!

Did a windows memory test - nothing turned up

CPU is cooler at 75 %

Any other way to change CPU speed?

Thanks

Omeomy

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
8,121 8,112 484 927
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for  the reply. 

Recommend you to help me with the product number of your computer, so that I can check if there are any program available from Intel that can help you control turbo boost. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Level 12
11,043 11,017 575 1,638
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> event viewer error 37 Kernel:

> The speed of processor 0 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware.

> The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 29 seconds since the last report.

> Any advice?

Google-search for "download free SPECCY".
Download and install this _free_ software.

Run it once while your system is "quiet".
You may "save" the on-screen report to a "text-file".

Then, when your system is "noisy", run it again.
Compare the on-screen report to the report in that "text-file", to see what has changed.

Tell us the results.

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
8,121 8,112 484 927
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, if the issue persists, recommend you to revert the PC back to Windows 7 if the noise persists. 

Let me know if this helps, for further assistance please reply.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Level 12
11,043 11,017 575 1,638
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> if the issue persists, recommend you to revert the PC back to Windows 7 if the noise persists. 

To take that ridiculous and unrealistic suggestion one step further, purchase a new PC.  :-((((

Instead, use CTRL-ALT-DELETE to start the Windows "Task Manager".

Click the "Performance" tab (top centre of the new window).

Near the bottom of that window, click "Resource Monitor" to launch it.

Close "Task Manager".

Then, you can "drill-down" to see which processes are using the most CPU,

or "drill-down" to see, on the "Disk" section,  the names of all files being read/written.

This should give you a good idea of which processes are reading/writing which files.

0 Kudos
omeomy
6 4 0 0
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Chimney_83

THANK YOU!

I brought the setting from 100% to 50% in the power option - power management - maximum processor state

and the cpu/ fan is not running hot at all -

Re turbo boost spinning noisy but not warm  - in fact it is now on the luke warm side of hot   !

One problem lools like on the way to being solved. Will keep an eye on it !

BIOS stated OS system Windows 7 - this did not change to Windows 10

Machine is a HP Pavilion dv6153ea a very good solid reliable notebook

I will look at the You tube videos again - which you suggested - which brought me to the power management changes in the first place

GETTING SOMEWHERE at last

Thank you

Paula

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation