cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
blew888
Level 4
127 126 5 15
Message 21 of 36
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Great!  The application was a good challenge, would have not thought this would be an issue.  Sounded like the xml file got corrupted or malformated.

If you have no tv tuner, config should be config1, with tv tuner should be config2(North America, NTSC/ATSC), config3 is PAL(Europe), and config4 is Japanese tuner.

0 Kudos
roadrunnerray
Level 2
24 21 0 0
Message 22 of 36
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Hi blew888, I had the same problem with trying to execute the HP touchSmart Tutorial program. I tried to locate the file you reference and discovered that the "HP TouchSmart Tutorials\locale.xml?" folder does not exist. Can I copy it from somewhere to this directory? ........Thanks, Ray
0 Kudos
blew888
Level 4
127 126 5 15
Message 23 of 36
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry to hear it did not work for you.  This file is autogenerated, but you can manually fix it. 

You can create the file using notepad.  Insert:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<locale id="en-US" config="config2" />

In config="xxx", xxx is:

config1 = no tvtuner

config2 = ntsc/atsc tuner

config3 = pal tuner

config4 = japanese tuner

Save the file as locale.xml, along with encoding of UTF-8.  Make sure you have file extensions turned on, or it will name file locale.xml.txt.  Just remove the .txt.

Place the file into the directory:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP TouchSmart Tutorials

Let me know if you have problems.  Too bad forum cannot attach files, I can post the file on rapidshare if needed.

0 Kudos
RasterBlaster
Level 11
Level 11
2,604 2,587 187 712
Message 24 of 36
Flag Post
HP Recommended

On my IQ504, the Tutorials work fine. But ... I found the XML file in a hidden HP folder at C:\HP\Tutorials

My 504 does not have the path C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP TouchSmart Tutorials

If you don't have the directory, you might want to check C:\HP\Tutorials ???

I am an HP employee expressing my own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
0 Kudos
roadrunnerray
Level 2
24 21 0 0
Message 25 of 36
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Many thanks blew888, I understand how to create the file that will include the 2-lines:

Where does the config data go??...............Ray

0 Kudos
RasterBlaster
Level 11
Level 11
2,604 2,587 187 712
Message 26 of 36
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Roadrunnerray,

After you have created the locale.xml, it goes in the path C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP TouchSmart Tutorials

You already mentioned that your PC did not have that path (mine did not either). However, I did find the locale.xml in the folder C:\HP\Tutorials. The HP folder is a hidden folder.

To view and access the folders (if they exist) ...

1) Click Start and open Computer.

2) Press the Alt key to view the window menu and click Tools and then Folder Options.

3) Click the View tab.

4) Select View hidden files and folders.

5) Click OK.

6) Double-click the HP folder that should now be viewable in the Computer window.

7) Double-click the Tutorials folder if it exists.

If the Tutorials folder exists, copy the Locale.xml file in this Tutorials folder and let us know if it works.

If it doesn't exist... try browsing to C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP TouchSmart Tutorials.

If the HP TouchSmart Tutorials is there, drop Locale.xml in the folder and let us know how it goes.

If the HP TouchSmart Tutorials folder does not exist, try creating the folder (as was suggested) and dropping Locale.xml in the new folder. let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Please post rather than send me a message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
0 Kudos
Wekam
Author
Level 1
14 13 0 1
Message 27 of 36
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@RasterBlaster wrote:

Roadrunnerray,

After you have created the locale.xml, it goes in the path C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP TouchSmart Tutorials

You already mentioned that your PC did not have that path (mine did not either). However, I did find the locale.xml in the folder C:\HP\Tutorials. The HP folder is a hidden folder.

My locale.xml is located in the C:\HP\Tutorials folder, I have absolutely nothing regarding the tutorials in the Program Files folders......
0 Kudos
roadrunnerray
Level 2
24 21 0 0
Message 28 of 36
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Many thanks RasterBlaster, when I get home from the office I will try this out and report back...............Ray
0 Kudos
roadrunnerray
Level 2
24 21 0 0
Message 29 of 36
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Morning RasterBlaster, I located the "locale.xml" file in the directory "C:\HP\Tutorials" as you indicated. The file looks like the XML code was doubled up as follows:

I then created the directory "HP TouchSmart Tutorials" under the path "C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\"

Next I used notepad to create the "locale.xml":

I tried to save this file to the "HP TouchSmart Tutorials" but received this error message:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP TouchSmart Tutorials\locale.xml

You don't have permission to save in this location

Contact the administrator to obtain permission

I tried to change the permissions for this directory but they kept going back to "Read Only"

I thought my User Account was set up as administrator. Running out of time and will come back later. Any thoughts will be appreciated..........Ray

0 Kudos
RasterBlaster
Level 11
Level 11
2,604 2,587 187 712
Message 30 of 36
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry about the late reply.

Based on what you have told me, I would not mess with creating a folder down the x86 path.

Instead, simply create a copy of the locale.xml file in the C:\HP\Tutorials path - to back it up.

Then, open the original locale.xml in Notepad and remove the extra two lines (and make sure there are no spaces at the end of the lines)

Save the edited file to c:\HP\Tutorials.

Restart.

Message Edited by RasterBlaster on 03-17-2009 12:28 PM
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation