cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 1
16 14 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post

UEFI on Pavilion P6-2143w

HP Recommended
Hello. I've had Windows 8 on my HP Pavilion P6-2143w for a year or so now. I just bought a new GPU (was running MSI 8800GT), a GTX770, and realized that the 770 is incompatible with UEFI, and doesn't boot past the POST. So I figured turning my Legacy mode on would fix the issue. But I don't have a UEFI firmware settings on my advanced restart screen. I am using UEFI, because my MBR (Master Boot Record) points to a .efi file, but I still do not have the BIOS option for Secure Boot, or the Advanced restart tile for UEFI firmware settings.
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Level 9
2,376 2,316 169 524
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have a 2012 HP PC using UEFI also. Limited UEFI, no option to disable secure boot or enable legacy boot.

This post describes a similar issue to yours. No UEFI support on the GTX770.

His solution was to flash the GTX firmware.

Quote, Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I finally got it working. The physical install was fine, and it actually had nothing to do with the secure boot feature. I ended up flashing the firmware on the GTX 770 itself, which was a step I wasn't originally anticipating since I had never seen anyone mention it on here or anywhere else. For anyone else that may have this issue in the future, the fix can be found on the MSI forums, just a quick google search will find it. It involves creating a DOS bootstick and loading the vbios for the card onto it. Once again, I appreciate the help guys!

Check the manufacturer for a firmware update.

Jaco

****I am not an HP employee****

Please give a" Kudos, Thumbs Up" if advice received is relevant or" Accept as Solution" to assist other forum users having a similar problem.

HP Products:
810-150se Desktop
17t-j000 Notebook
H8 1380t CTO Desktop
560z Desktop

Highlighted
Author
Level 1
16 14 0 0
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Thanks for the lengthy response. This is where I'm stuck. I've read a ton these past two days about the VBios, and flashing the card itself. Just one issue, my card is NVidia Manufactured, meaning it didn't come from MSI or EVGA. Its the stock one. NVidia doesn't have an option to flash, sadly. I'll see what I can do though.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9
2,376 2,316 169 524
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

That is a problem. Some cards will refuse to run on UEFI.

Can you return the card?

Jaco

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
16 14 0 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I'd absolutely hate to have to return it (been waiting all year for this), I'm looking up some vbios alternatives, but so far, no avail. Its quite odd I can't even enable legacy on my system. I'm using a .EFI for boot, but no legacy mode anywhere.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
16 14 0 0
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended
So I've been hesitant. I've had too many issues upgrading already. I was wondering if a new case and Motherboard would work.
Case;
Thermaltake V3 Black Edition VL80001W2Z No PS Mid Tower

Mobo; MSI Computer Corp. A75MA-G55
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9
2,376 2,316 169 524
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

You're absolutely right. My h8 1380t is the same.

You will have to purchase a UEFI card if you cannot flash the 770 to enable UEFI support.

Please see this post. Unfortunately you have a different problem; your card does not support UEFI.

In Nvidia does not offer support you cannot use the GTX770 on your PC.

Jaco

Highlighted
Level 9
2,376 2,316 169 524
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

The MSI board uses UEFI?

Jaco

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
16 14 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Yes, but supports Legacy too.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9
2,376 2,316 169 524
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

It is an option.

Jaco

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation