cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
mclightning88 Tutor
Tutor
8 3 0 1
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

USB Drivers Deleted - No Keyboard/Mouse functionality at Login

Computer specs:

HP Pavilion P6-2327c

Windows 8.1 64-Bit

8GB (4x2) RAM 1600Mhz

AMD A8-5550 Quad Core @ 3.2Ghz, Turbo 3.7Ghz

Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200rpm

AMD Radeon HD 7750 1GB GDDR5

Stock HP 300w

-------------------------

After trying to uninstall AMD's Catalyst Control Center, I realized I deleted my USB Drivers during uninstall. What happened is I did an Express Uninstall instead of a Custom Uninstall. I was only supposed to uninstall my Display Driver and the CCC. Apparently, in that Uninstall, there was an option to uninstall something called AMD USB Filter Drivers.  So, I have a computer that boots perfectly into Windows but cannot login.

Note: The Mouse and Keyboard works during the Windows 8.1 Advanced Start-Up Menu.

With that limited functionality, I've tried the following:

1. Plug Mouse & Keyboard into different USB 2.0 Ports & USB 3.0 Ports, but all remained the same.

2. I tried two different System Restores. One was when I uninstalled AMD's Catalyst Control Center, and the second was from July 9, 2014. Both restores failed due to Windows being unable to access a file.

3. I tried booting into Safe Mode w/ Networking, but, surprisingly,  nothing happened.

My last option is to Reset my PC to factory settings--which means I'll lose 600GB of data-- or attempt an OS repair. However, I do have HP Recovery disks. I bought them last fall, and they come in 4 disks. But, the Recovery disks are for Windows 8 not 8.1.

My question is, Is there a way to Repair Windows (NOT RECOVERY, BUT REPAIR) with the recovery disks despite them being for Windows 8 and not 8.1, or will I have to buy a disk from Microsoft? And if so, will Repairing Windows reinstall basic USB drivers for login?

Any help will be appreciated. :manvery-happy:

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
2,554 2,316 169 524
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi mclightning88,

Have you tried refreshing your Win 8.1 install from the Advanced Startup Menu?

Here are instructions on performing this task.

If it works you're back in business. You will lose third party desktop applications and must reinstall but personal data will be retained.

If you recover you can also create a custom refresh image  of your PC after getting it setup the way you prefer. When refreshing your PC in the future you only have to reinstall any desktop apps installed after creating the image.

You also can create a system image on an external drive anytime you like from within Control Panel - File History. Check the lower left corner of the File History dialogue box for "System Image Backup".  You should then create a Microsoft Recovery drive. Instructions are here. You can restore a Win 8.1 system image with the recovery drive.

There are also many good third party imaging solutions available.

Unfortunately you cannot repair your Win 8.1 install with HP's Win 8 recovery discs. If you have to use that method you will lose everything. You will have to rebuild your Win 8 install back to Win 8.1.

As a last resort prior to an HP factory recovery, you may want to consider this option to recover data.

Jaco

****I am not an HP employee****

Please give a" Kudos, Thumbs Up" if advice received is relevant or" Accept as Solution" to assist other forum users having a similar problem.

HP Products:
810-150se Desktop
17t-j000 Notebook
H8 1380t CTO Desktop
560z Desktop

mclightning88 Tutor
Tutor
8 3 0 1
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Ok thanks. I will use my recovery disks and reinstall Windows, then when all is set up and done, I will create a System Image. Thanks.

Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
2,554 2,316 169 524
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi mclightning88,

You're very welcome.

Curious, did you try refreshing your PC?

Jaco

Happy Computing!

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation