Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
TomGraz Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

USB Keyboard & Mouse Stop Working

EliteOne 800 G2 No-Touch
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I did a fresh install from the Windows 7 Professional 64 bit that was supplied with the computer.  The load was perfect.  All Microsoft updates were installed except the one that nags about Windows 10.  After loading the wrong Brother printer, I uninstalled that printer.  On the very next boot, the USB mouse and keyboard were both frozen.  Moving them to different USB ports did no good.  Several different models of mouse and keyboard didn't work.  I tried the latest chipset and USB 3.0 drivers from HP's website.  Nothing.  The computer will shut down properly by pressing the power button.  This has happened on 3 of my 23 new computers.  Any thoughts?  Maybe a firmware update?  

4 REPLIES
TomGraz Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post

I forgot to mention that I'm working from images.  I have stages of the installation for just this reason.  That's why I'm able to try different things on different computers.

0 Kudos
Teacher
Teacher
154 6 13
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post

You said you installed the wrong drivers for a printer and thats what caused the problem?  If so why not just reinstall windows 7 again fresh install?  Also does the mouse and keyboard work in the bios?

0 Kudos
TomGraz Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post

It was the wrong printer.  I installed a Brother DCP-7065, and it worked fine.  Then realized the user would be using a newer model, a Brother DCP-2540.  When I uninistalled the DCP-7065 and rebooted, the keyboard & mouse quit working altogether.

I have an image from before the printer installation, so I'm able to go back as often as I need.  That actually gives me a bit more to work with.  I reloaded and installed the DCP-2540, and boom - on the first reboot the keyboard & mouse are dead.  This happened on two different computers.  The problem is likely a combination of HP, Microsoft, and Brother with Brother bearing most of the blame (at least in my mind).  An hour with Brother technical support was useless.  They basically said it's HP's problem, but did escalate the call.  Sometime in the future I'll get a level 2 technician to tell me it's HP's problem.

Meanwhile, I've spent two days on this problem and have 23 machines to deploy.  With 3 parties in play, there's not much of a chance of getting the problem resolved.  I loaded Windows 10 and it doesn't have the same trouble.  That wasn't what I wanted, but it's what I got.  I would be interested in a resolution to the problem.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

And to Rankam's question, yes - the mouse & keyboard work in the bios and the imaging program (Acronis) while they are dead in Windows.

0 Kudos
Teacher
Teacher
154 6 13
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post

Sounds like it is an issue with Brothers printer drivers.  Since the mouse and keyboard only lock up right after you install the drivers for it.  Could also be the bios itself is outdated but updating bios can be very risky so I would not recommend it.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation