Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I am having trouble with certain USB devices not appearing in the file manager. I can hear the audio prompt when I connect them but no notifications in the bottom right corner and the devices are not appearing in the file manager. I've tried all USB ports with the same dissapointing results. Thumb drives appear but phones and external hard drives  do not.I,ve tried remedying in device manager to no avail. I have an HP ENVY all-in-one. Thank you in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@thirdworldboy

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP Envy all in one and it does not detect smartphones and external USB hard drives. Other USB thumb drives connect and are available for data sharing. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

I suggest you download the drivers for the smartphone and if you have received a disk for the external hard drive (or can be downloaded from the manufacturer's website) the smartphone and the external hard drive. 

Alternately, you may perform Windows updates.

Feel free to let me know how it goes. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Hello and thank you for your input. I have never had to install drivers for any Iphones, ever. I don't even know if they have drivers. I am pretty sure that the USB hardware is defective and in need of replacement. 

HP Recommended

Windows software is up to date. No updates available.

HP Recommended

@thirdworldboy

Thanks for replying. 🙂 I appreciate you taking your valuable time to troubleshoot.

Please try to update the chipset drivers via this link: www.hp.com/drivers. Else, you may give me the exact model no. of your PC and I will locate the drivers. This link will help you find the model no: http://hp.care/2bygf7l.

Meanwhile, you may run a hardware test on the USB ports by following the below steps:

• Shutdown the PC.
  • Turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second.

• The HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu is displayed.

HP PC Hardware Diagnostic UEFI screen

• Select Component tests.

List of the Component tests

• Run a test on USB. 

USB Port - This test is interactive and requires you to connect an external USB device, like a mouse, keyboard, or USB flash drive when prompted.

Before running the test, make sure there are no USB devices connected to the port you want to test.

To start the test, click USB Port, click Run once, and then connect a USB device to the port you want to test.

Repeat the steps if you need to test other USB ports on the computer.

Let me know what happens. Good luck! 

HP Recommended

Thank you for all you time and help in trying to troubleshoot this problem with me. I really do appreciate it. I will try the items you mentioned and get back to you with with results.

HP Recommended

@thirdworldboy

You are most welcome. 🙂

I will watch for your response. Cheers! 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.