Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Student
Message 1 of 2 (1,448 Views)

Unable to setup Thunderbird, Eudora or other email settings

Touchsmart IQ526 Series PC  NC700AA    3CR92528WQ   Windows 7 64 Bit

I hate the email setup with Century Link and have been attempting to sign up for Thunderbird for years now. Have finally had it.

When I just open Thunderbird

"Live .mozillamessaging.com could not be found

The first error message I receive is

"Sorry we are unable to communicate with our Signup server"

Then when I  input the info provided by Century link

"Thunderbird failed to find the settings for  your email account."

So I paid some "expert" to figure it out for me....and he was unable to find the problem.  His advice was to use GMAIL to connect with Q.com.  Soi I tried and got the EXACT same messages.

What is wrong?  The computer in the next room but with Vista and all the  ISP works with Thunderbird with no problems and I have 3 Gmail accounts that work fine.  I want to keep the Q.com email  

HELP

0 Kudos
Regents Professor
Message 2 of 2 (1,429 Views)

Re: Unable to setup Thunderbird, Eudora or other email settings

[ Edited ]

I understand you want to setup your @q.com e-mail address in Thunderbird.

When I steup Thundebird a few minutes ago, I only had to click Create a new account being sure to click the skip this step and use an existing e-mail option to setup my e-mail account.  

Have you already contacted Century Link for assistance already?  They may have a setting that is needed on the remote  side to use it with an e-mail client.  This may already be set if the same @q.com address is working on a differnt PC througha  mail client.  I do know Gmail requires IMAP or POP3 to be enabled in the e-mail settings for it to work with a mail client, so this may be the cause of Gmail not working in Thunderbird.

I don't have an @q.com account to test this with myself.  Based on this support page from Thunderbird, it looks like Qwest uses a MSN Premium account (as Thunderbird has labeled it) to operate their e-mail.  Of course, this may be different now.  

At this point, these steps may be the best path at this point.

Also, have you tried this with the anti-virus disabled ( if any)?  It is possible it is interfering with Thunderbird.  

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation