cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
dpweeks Top Student
Top Student
8 7 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Unable to update BIOS on HP ENVY Phoenix 810-140ea Desktop

810-140ea, F9P86EA#ABU
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I am preparing to upgrade from Win 8.1 to Win 10. According to the HP Support site the BIOS should be upgraded before upgrading to Win 10. The BIOS currently installed as reported by msinfo32 is "AMI 80.16, 05/12/2013".  According to the HP Support site page for my product, the latest HP Consumer Desktop PC BIOS Update (ROM Family SSID 2AF3) software available is sp72302.exe Version 80.24 Rev A, Aug 3 2015. I temporarily disabled my Antivirus (Norton Security), and exited ZoneAlarm Firewall Free, and then attempted to download and install this new BIOS version using "HP Download and Install Assisstant (Recommended)". The download part suceeded, and a cmd window launched, and all operations displayed within it appeared to proceed without error. After the cmd window closed, the remaining dialogue window indicated that the BIOS update was also successful. No automatic reboot occurred so I then closed that dialogue and manually rebooted. After logging in again and re-running msinfo32, the BIOS version reported is unchanged at "AMI 80.16, 05/12/2013". To double check I rebooted and used F10 to enter the BIOS. At that level in System Information, the BIOS version is reported as "KAI v80.16 12/05/2013", so it seems that the BIOS update to the new v80.24 Rev A in fact did NOT succeed.

What do I need to do to successfully update the BIOS to Version 80.24 Rev A?

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Retired
Retired
7771 6909 449 841
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi there @dpweeks,

Welcome back to the HP Support Forums!  I understand that you are looking for assistance prior to upgrading to Windows 10. I am happy to help you with this.

As you have been having some issues with the BIOS on the support page, you may want to try the HP Support AssistantHP PCs - Using HP Support Assistant (Windows 10, 8, 7)  It should automate the process of searching for available and valid updates for your system. Give it a go, and see if it helps.  Also, just in case you have not seen it, here are the HP recommended steps to take prior to upgrading to Windows 10:  HP Desktop PCs - Upgrading to Windows 10.  You may have already seen it, but if not it can be helpful in protecting your system and data.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
dpweeks Top Student
Top Student
8 7 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Malygris1,

I omitted to mention in my original post that I had already tried running HP Support Assistant. The run of that tool did not detect that a later version of BIOS was available for my HP Envy, so did not install anything. So that was the reason why I went to the HP Support site and manually checked to see if there was a later version of BIOS, and found that there was!

So considering neither the automated HP Support Assistant, nor the HP Download and Install Assistant are able to update the BIOS for me, what do I need to do to update it?

Regarding the HP Recommended steps to take before upgrading to Windows 10, I am already following those. That is where I read that the BIOS should be updated to the latest version before upgrading.

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
7771 6909 449 841
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the updated information. 

If the HP Support Assistant does not see that BIOS as a valid update, then just proceed with the next step in the recommended Windows 10 upgrade process.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
0 Kudos
dpweeks Top Student
Top Student
8 7 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm confused by your reply. Are you saying that "HP Consumer Desktop PC BIOS Update (ROM Family SSID 2AF3) Version 80.24 Rev A, Aug 3 2015" is not a "valid update" for my PC because HP Support Assistant does not detect it as such? If so, then why does this BIOS version show up on the HP Support site for my exact HP Envy product number? Is the HP Support website in error? The new BIOS version is almost 2 years more recent than the one currently in use on my PC. How do you know that Windows 10 will work without problem with my old BIOS version?
0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
7771 6909 449 841
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No, I am just acknowledging that for some reason your system is either not recognizing it, or accepting that BIOS update. 

The sad truth is that even if you had that BIOS installed, there are no guarantees, just probabilities. The best thing you can do is make all preparations first. Make sure you have made recovery media, if you haven't already. Do a complete backup, to an external device, or make a complete image of the hard drive using a third party tool of your choice.

Once you have taken all the precautions, you have protected your data, and have the ability to go back to your old installation if there is a problem. When you think about the millions of people that have already done the upgrade with no issues, the odds are well in your favour, but there is no way to predict a power outage or component failure at a critical time. So precautions are always a good idea.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
HP_DUDS_15 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem,  Iam also unable to update the bios,  my PC is HP Envy 700-230ea (2AF3) the current bios i have at the moment is 80:17

I have noticed there are two available bios updates for my pc 

80.21 Rev. A (sp67055.exe)

and a newer one at

80.24 Rev.A (sp72302.exe)

I have tried both updates they seem to install ok with no errors.. But after system reboot the bios has not been updated it still remains on ver 80:17.

Did you manage to get it updated at all??

0 Kudos
dpweeks Top Student
Top Student
8 7 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Nope, never managed to update the BIOS 😞 Just went ahead with the Windows 10 upgrade without doing that step.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation