cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
rickluc
Level 4
121 91 1 1
Message 1 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Understanding Pavilion Elite m9040n network system

Pavilion Elite m9040n
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

I hope this is the right forum.

I don't understand all the new wireless stuff, so here goes.

I have been running this computer on a system that has a modem and router. I have Comcast. I bring a coix cable from wall outlet to my modem. Then theres a coxia cable coming from my modem into my router. I have a cat5 wire going from router into the back of my computer. I have a cat5 wire also coming from my router going into the wall outlet that feeds over to the back of my new SmartTV. So is my computer running of a wired connection or a wireless connection? I unhooked the cable going into the back of my computer and lost access to the internet. My computer is suppose to have a 802.11 b/g wireless USB adapter card.

So what I asking all this for is to get my network system hooked up to support all the equipment in home.

I've had for a few years now a blue ray player that works thru my routers wireless connection fine.

I've installed a new SmartTV and it is running off my routers wireless connection.

So what I want to do is, thru wireless ? connection is have my computer commuicate with my SmartTV. How can I do this with the 802.11 b/g wireless usb adapter card?

I downloaded Samsungs SmartView2 program. When I try to use it, it will send a message to the TV somehow and bring up a window on the TV that has a pin number that I'm suppose to type into computer to get access to TV. So my computer is communicating with TV somehow. Put when I try to send a message from computer to TV to perform something, a message on computer says can't perform thru HMDI cable.

This is why I would like to figure out how to get computer to connect to TV with a wireless connection.

How can I perform this task?

Thanks

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
Retired
Retired
7,336 6,290 359 764
Message 2 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @rickluc,

I understand that you would like to enable your SmartTV to communicate with your desktop computer, and I would be happy to assist you in this matter!

While you are new to setting up your devices on a wireless network, thank you for posting such a clear inquiry! To connect your computer to your wireless network, I recommend following the steps in this document on Troubleshooting your wireless network and Internet connection (Windows 7).

Since you mentioned that your TV and BluRay devices are connected to the network, and that your computer is connected to the same router, I recommend contacting Samsung Technical Support to configure your SmartTV to connect with your desktop.

Please re-post with the results of your troubleshooting, and I look forward to your reply!

Regards 🙂

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
Level 15
28,004 27,539 1,808 5,037
Message 3 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

I also have Comcast.  I don't use wireless connections to my TV or desktop PC. I only use wireless for portables. Here is how I am cabled:

COAX from wall to Comcast modem.

Ethernet cable from Comcast modem to my own wireless hub

Ethernet cable from wireless hub to PC

Ethernet cable from wireless hub to Samsung 8000 smart TV (internet streaming)

The source input on the Samsung shows the PC as a DLNA device.

I haven't tried Samsung's SmartView2 program.  I'll have to see what it does when I get more time.

HP Photosmart 6520
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 2K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
0 Kudos
rickluc
Level 4
121 91 1 1
Message 4 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry guys, I'm going to work on this soon. Thanks I 've read your comments and I will act on them. Thanks

0 Kudos
rickluc
Level 4
121 91 1 1
Message 5 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This is my cabling:

Coax from wall to own modem qulified by Comcast

Ethernet cable from own modem to my own wireless router

Ethernet cable from wireless router to PC

There is no more Ethernet outlets in PC

I can have Ethernet cable from own router into wall outlet and then a wall outlet at TV into TV. But I think that will just pick up from modem, correct?

I'm using a white ? pin connector at back of PC to run PC monitoer. Beside it is a blue connection with 15 hole connection

There is several USB plug holes availible

Is there one of these connections able to be converted to Ethernet?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Level 15
Message 6 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

I suggest that you eliminate the number of Ethernet connections and eliminate your own modem until you can get things working such as the following:

Coax from wall to Comcast modem

Ethernet from Comcast modem to wireless hub

Ethernet from wireless Hub to TV.

HP Photosmart 6520
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 2K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
0 Kudos
rickluc
Level 4
121 91 1 1
Message 7 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Maybe I didn't explain myself very well.

I don't have a Comcast modem. I let them take there modem back and bought one. Comcast said the modem I bought was fine to work on their system.

If I take the Ethernet cable from wireless hub to wall outlet then to TV I will have two Comcast signal supplied to my TV.

My TV is now being serviced thru Comcasts coax cable into there DVR box into my TV.

Seems like I need to take a Ethernet cable from PC into wall and then into TV? But I'm using the only Ethernet position in PC with the Ethernet cable from router to PC.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Level 15
Message 8 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

I didn't understand "qulified".  OK so it's your own modem that is qualified as acceptable by Comcast.

1. The modem should have one Ethernet cable going to the wireless hub.
  2. The wireless hub should have one Ethernet cable going to the to PC.
  3. The wireless hub should an additional Ethernet cable going to the TV.
  4. Your modem should have COAX in from the wall and COAX out to the DVR. The DVR should have COAX to the TV.  This is a standard hook up arrangement.

If you still have difficulties then try this site.

HP Photosmart 6520
0 Kudos
rickluc
Level 4
121 91 1 1
Message 9 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I don't go thru my modem to get access to TV. I bring a coax wire out of wall where TV is setting and run it into Comcast DVR box, then a coax cable out of the Comcast DVR box into TV.

What I don't understand is, I have one Ethernet cable running from router into back of PC. Isn't that signal going from the modem/router into the PC? Signal leaving router traveling towards the PC? Will the same Ethernet cable send signal back from PC to router? Then send it out the other Ethernet cable in router to the TV?

If I want the PC to communicate with TV, don't I need a Etherent cable going from PC towads TV. Signal traveling from PC to TV?

Thanks

0 Kudos
rickluc
Level 4
121 91 1 1
Message 10 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Am I all mixed up on this? So the Ethernet wire coming out of the back of PC to router has signals going both ways. Message from router going into back of PC coming from internet, and I can send signals from back of PC to the router and it (router) will then send message over to the other Ethernet wire going to TV? Thanks

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation