cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
amoe2 Tutor
Tutor
10 8 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Unhack startup on P2-1033w

P2-1033w
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Seeking to help someone who got their PC hacked via one of the "Call for help" prompts and subsequent mis-steps when they called the number and allowed remote access.  Unable to recover or flash new ISO install as the harddrive disappears in the process.  There must be something changed in the bios or uefi settings.  I have a valid ISO which I have used repeatedly with UEFI and Legacy installations.  Have swapped the harddrive with another and still unable to get past the issue.  Able to get the OS to begin the load, delete the various partitions on the harddrives (with both tried) to get a clean install.  Boot sequence menu only shows the harddrive(s) as a Legacy device rather than as a UEFI device.  An Atheros Boot Agent is also visible and I would think the issue is in a change in the bios/uefi or with a boot agent.  Seeking to learn with this one.  Setup gets up to the Installing Windows stage but stalls at the Copying Windows files stage and never errors and never leaves 0%.

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Provost Provost
Provost
24,510 20,943 2,387 7,951
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Amoe2, welcome to the forum.

I don't believe that this motherboard has UEFI.  HP didn't begin using UEFI until mid-October, 2012.  These are the release dates for the different Product numbers:

QP812AA: 23-Sep-2011

QP812AS: 01-Feb-2012

This is why the HDD is being shown as Legacy.  Since there is no BIOS update for the motherboard for Win 7, I am not certain that much can be done.  I will ask the appropriate people within HP to see if they have a solution.

-----------------------------------------
Signature:

HP TouchPad - 1.2 GHz; 1 GB memory; 32 GB storage; WebOS/CyanogenMod 11(Kit Kat)

Custom build: Corsair 750D Airflow (Full Tower); MSI MEG z390 ACE motherboard; i9-9900K processor (OC'd 5.025); Corsair H150i cooler; 32 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 memory; MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio video card; Samsung 970 Pro 512 GB; Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB

HP Spectre 360 Convertible; i7-7560U; 16 GB memory; Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 640; 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD; 13.3" diagonal 4K UHD UWVA eDP BrightView WLED-backlit multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass (3840 x 2160); Windows 10 Pro 64 with Windows Ink

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up+ to say 'Thanks' and the 'Accept as Solution' if I have solved your problem.**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Tutor
10 8 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP suggested a file to attempt. Should have time to attempt in another day or so.
0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information.  I hope that it works for you.  Good luck!

Signature:

HP TouchPad - 1.2 GHz; 1 GB memory; 32 GB storage; WebOS/CyanogenMod 11(Kit Kat)

Custom build: Corsair 750D Airflow (Full Tower); MSI MEG z390 ACE motherboard; i9-9900K processor (OC'd 5.025); Corsair H150i cooler; 32 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 memory; MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio video card; Samsung 970 Pro 512 GB; Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB

HP Spectre 360 Convertible; i7-7560U; 16 GB memory; Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 640; 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD; 13.3" diagonal 4K UHD UWVA eDP BrightView WLED-backlit multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass (3840 x 2160); Windows 10 Pro 64 with Windows Ink

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up+ to say 'Thanks' and the 'Accept as Solution' if I have solved your problem.**

Tutor
10 8 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So far nothing has taken care of the problem.  Tried resetting the Bios Password even though I get no password request, unsure what else to attempt.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information.

I believe that it is time to get a local computer repair shop involved.  I am not certain that anything we do will help your problem.  When this type of thing happens it can literally destroy the computer.

Signature:

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++

Tutor
10 8 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am part of a local PC repair shop, that is why I am seeking to see if anyone has found a fix for this new ransomware delivered through the "Microsoft Support" scam calls.  

So far I am finding no google results, no results at this or other tech help share sites.  Seems a shame to give up on the growing group of computers used by people who got so scammed.

Within the past week and a half I have now seen two computers that have been locked down so as to block the use of the computer even with an clean ISO install being blocked.

The first was told they would have to pay almost $500, while the second was told they would have to pay over $1800.  The second instance also included a secondary scam attempt to get the computer owner to send the scammer $2000.00 that the scammer supposedly had refunded to the owner in excess.  Turns out that the scammer had accessed the owner's credit card and used it to transfer $2000.00 into the owner's own bank account.  The scammer claimed this excess "refund" had to be repaid or they would lose their job.  This was a scam to get the owner to both pay the scammer the $1800.00 + fee plus the $2000.00 that had been shifted by the scammer without the owner realizing it.  This was to both increase the take for the scammer and to get the owner to believe the scammer.   Luckily the owner's bank pointed out the scam to the owner.

These scams just keep getting worse.   Oddly enough I received one of the "Microsoft Support" calls at our work phone this week, and a co-worker received another such call yesterday on another line at work.  At least it helps to remind us what these scam calls sound like.  I have dealt with another 3 systems that were compromised by these "Microsoft Support" scams in the past week and a half where the computers where not locked down.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information.

I am sorry that I didn't realize that you were a part of a computer shop.  This is a terrible thing that people are going through.  My mother-in-law got called by the same scammers recently.  She had enough sense to shut her computer down before they had an opportunity to lock her's up.  She knew they shouldn't be going into the depths of her computer and that was a red flag.

I hope someone will be able to help you, but I have no idea what to do.

Good luck.

Signature:

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation