cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 3
36 19 1 0
Message 1 of 12
Flag Post

Solved!

Unwanted preinstalled programs/software

HP Recommended

I just purchased a new computer and "fired it up yesterday". There is a lot of preinstalled software/programs that I do not want.

I looked in Control Panel and they aren't listed. I have Revo Uninstaller and they aren't listed there either.

How do I get them out of my computer?

I have an HP h9-1180 Phoenix using Win 7 Home.

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Level 3
43 30 3 4
Message 2 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'll do my best. A lot of these are just shortcuts to webpages. You can be pretty confident in deleting them or if you feel you may use them later create a storage folder and keep them there for awhile. 

In windows 8, on the metro start screen if I right click it may say UPIN from start, then it's a shortcut. Or it might say UNINSTALL. Then I know it's program, so I uninstall it. But for the most part they are only shortcuts.

You can further investigate by right clicking on the icon, got to propterties and it will tell you if it is a shortcut or a program. It will also tell you where that program is installed if infact it is a program. 

I hope this helps. By the way, if Norton is on there you can download a NORTON REMOVAL TOOL from the web. Just Google for it.  Let me know if any further.  jack

I tried writing my signature in this box on the screen but it doesn't seem to work? :v lol
Highlighted
Author
Level 3
36 19 1 0
Message 3 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks jackdashack.

I handn't thougt of Norton. I'll see what that can do.

As for one of the programs, I checked it's file location and it is an app. I'll just delete the shortcuts if Norton can't do anything with them

Thanks for the input. Much appreciated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3
43 30 3 4
Message 4 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If it is indeed a true app then it should be in the add/remove or the unistall programs area.  I don't think I have ever seen an app that wasn't. For instance Office come bundled and is a trial. But it's also can be uninstalled.  Just a thought.  jack  :generic:

I tried writing my signature in this box on the screen but it doesn't seem to work? :v lol
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 3
36 19 1 0
Message 5 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

When I right click the icon and open file location, here's what comes up.

OS(C:)/Program Files(x86)/Hewlett-Packard/Shared files

Bottom of list is: WizLink     8/22/2008     5:21PM     Application      60KB.

If I open Control Panel, it isn't there, nor is it in Revo Uninstaller.

What I did was delete the file listing and the desktop icon.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3
43 30 3 4
Message 6 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I suggest you do what I am going to do now.  I am going to search Google with this ..

How to uninstall programs in Program Files(x86) not showing in uninstall programs

I'll see what I get and you see what you come up with. There must be a way.  It's possible that they can just be deleted like files, but I don't want to tell you that. My problem is will they leave junk files behind in the Registry. It's possible that the EXE file is an install file and not a run file.  Let's see what we find out ........... :Wink:

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3
43 30 3 4
Message 7 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here is some reading ....

http://www.google.com/webhp?source=search_app#hl=en&sugexp=les%3Bepsugrpq2high&gs_rn=2&gs_ri=hp&cp=8...

This one might be more specific but I'm not sure. I see something in the Google preview about (x86) programs.

Let me know what you find out?  jack    :manhappy:

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3
43 30 3 4
Message 8 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Whoops! I forgot the other "specific" one.

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/146007-uninstall-programs-program-files-x86-folder.html

I probably will get blackballed saying this but if you are not getting answers here there are other forums. I think your question is a basically simple one but when I answered no one had even read your post. That's why I have 3 or 4 other forums. Sometimes they jump right on it and some slip through the cracks.  If you find your answer, answered on another forum, join that one too!.  Well, that's probably the end of my simple help career here!  :manlol:

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 3
36 19 1 0
Message 9 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks jackdashack.

I hadn't thought of Googling but will do. Also, will check the links you provided. I'm still playing with this new thing and trying to find the best backup software for my old computer. Won't go into that right now.

Appreciate your help. You are right about some people ignoring posts.

Will keep you up to date on my findings.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3
43 30 3 4
Message 10 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I don't know what your budget is like but mine is tight, very tight. But I will tell you that the $50 or so put out for Carbonite is worth the peace of mind. Everything you do, every document you make, every type of file you create it automatiacally back it up online without your intervention. If you delete files by mistake, they're still there for so many days, you can retrieve them. It's well worth the money for the peace of mind.

Any backup you have at home is still liable to crash and then if you have to hook it up, say for instance a USB hard drive, it may not hook that seemlessly up on another pc.

http://www.carbonite.com/en/v2/index

Look it over.  jack  :manhappy: 

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation