cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Justcallme52
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post

Updated my desk top, Windows 10,won't do anything.

HP Recommended
Pavilion 23
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My desk top touch smart pavilion computer updated last night and it restarted as normal. Displayed the hp logo,then a blue screen. It has 3 toggles on bottom right corner. Power, ease of access and internet. It connects to the internet but nothing else. Just a blue screen. Please help..

I have tried all the trouble shooting I can find and nothing. Help!

8 REPLIES 8
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 10,971 577 1,703
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This could be a hardware problem:

* turn the computer off

* turn the computer on, and follow the on-screen instructions to run "HP Diagnostics" (instead of booting into Windows).

If it reports hardware problems, then we can go from that point.

This could be a software problem.

Try to "reboot" it, several times. If all of the attempts "fail", Windows will boot into the "Recovery Console".

One of the options should be to use "System Restore" to "time-warp" your computer back to a date/time before the problem started.

Try that, and report back.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Justcallme52
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the idea. But I get nothing but a blue screen. I have even tried rewriting the Bios. But since I only get a blue screen, oh well.

mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 10,971 577 1,703
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> I get nothing but a blue screen. I have even tried rewriting the Bios. 

Only as a "last resort" would I try to update the BIOS to solve a problem, but that's "water under the bridge".

If you suspect a "hardware" problem:

Power-off, and power-on, and immediately keeping tapping 'ESC', to get to the hardware menu, from where you can try to start the 'HP Diagnostics'.

Power-off, and power-on, and immediately keeping tapping 'F1', to get to the hardware menu, from where you can try to start the 'HP Diagnostics'.

Power-off, and power-on, and immediately keeping tapping 'F10', to get to the hardware menu, from where you can try to start the 'HP Diagnostics'.

If you suspect a "software" problem:

Reboot, and immediately keep tapping the 'F8' key, to see if you can force the "System Recovery" menu to display.

From there, try "System Repair".

Justcallme52
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It is not an hardware issue. Figured out the hard way, after trying a factory reset, that when my computer restarted itself, it did so in safe mode.

1. There was only a blue screen

2. Could not access any other screen.

3. Got f8 to open it allowed a factory reset

4. While waiting for it to reboot, I got the message, can not install Windows in safe mode, turn of computer to continue.

5. Turned it off 10, yes, 10 times, received the same message.

6. I did get the shift f10 to open a command prompt screen

7. Typed in misconceived. Nothing

8. Typed in Compmgmtlauncher, brought up a divice management screen.

9. Considered throwing my computer out the window

10. I have no operating system

11. How can I turn off safe mode?

12. No screen but a black screen with the hp logo, the above mentioned error message and the command prompt window

13. How do I turn off safe mode?

mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 10,971 577 1,703
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

>  How do I turn off safe mode?

Type  SHUTDOWN /R /T 8  and press ENTER.

This will "shutdown" the computer after 8 seconds of T(ime), and R(eboot) the computer.

Justcallme52
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have tried everything. I can not do anything until I can get it out of safe mode. Interestingly from the option to restore or reset, it requires a password. I have tried 53.

I spoke with Microsoft and was told I should reset the Bios. Nothing.....

Justcallme52
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Tried everything. I get no login screen. I can get the blue screen with options, but without a password, no luck. Can not boot from hp or from Windows.  

mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 10,971 577 1,703
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> without a password ....

Your desktop computer could have several passwords:

1. as soon as you power-on the computer;

2. when you try to enter BIOS SETUP mode;

3. when you need to "logon" to Windows.

For #1 or #2, on a desktop computer, it's possible to move a tiny jumper on the motherboard to "clear" this password.

For a laptop, there's no such jumper -- to prevent a thief from "clearing" this password on a stolen computer.

For #3, on another computer, either just press ENTER when prompted for the password for the 'Administrator' ID (this works because this password was never setup), or Google-search for 'Nordahl offline password'.

Download this software, and follow the instructions to burn the software to a blank CD-recordable disk.

Move the disk to your computer, and force your computer to boot from it.

Follow the on-screen instructons to "blank" the password for the 'Administrator' ID.

Power-off the computer.

Power-on the computer, and boot from the 'C:' drive, and select one of those "recovery" options.

When prompted for the password, just press ENTER.

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation