cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
trapppee Student
Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Upgrade Video Card Hp Pavilion A1640N

Hey , I have tried to upgrade the video card on my HP Pavilion A1640N with a ATI Radeon 2400PRO, but when I install it, video is better, but no sound at all. Ideally, I would like to be able to play any of Daughter's Videos (Dora, Wonder Pets, etc.) that are on my desktop to my LCD in my living room. I would also like to play my other videos on my LCD as well, so quality of picture is a concern. Suggestions for Video Cards, etc.. welcome. Just don't want to spend a ton of money ($50 -  $200)

Any help is very appreciated.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Associate Professor
Associate Professor
1,255 1,250 77 144
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Look like you need a PCI Express 1.0 x16 video card.

Here's a few good cards that also allow you to play games as well and watch videos.

1) GeForce 8800 GT  $109.99

2) GeForce 8600 GTS $79.99

3) ATI Rodeon 3650 $54.99
0 Kudos
Master's Graduate
Master's Graduate
397 391 24 71
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If you have a home media edition center pc and a home network, you can spend relatively the same amount of money as you would on a high end video card and get an Xbox 360 and hook that up to your TV.  Then you can stream your videos from your computer to the TV, still use the computer at the same time and as long as the video is in the correct format you'll get sound and good quality video display. 

(your sound issues are not likely to be connected to a video card issue)

(the Xbox 360 Arcade version retails for around $200 where I am at, you can also get a wireless adapter to connect to the network so that you don't have to string a cable from your router.  If you don't have a router yet, you can pick up cheap ones for less than $40 nowadays).

insert signature here
0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
2,633 2,581 184 694
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Maybe I'm missing something... You are saying that you installed a video card and sound isn't working? I think you should be troubleshooting the sound problem, not buying another video card? We need more information.

Is you monitor VGA/DVI/HDMI? Are you trying to use the speakers in the monitor for sound?

If so, only HDMI is capable of carrying the sound to the monitor. If you are connect DVI or VGA, then you'll need to run a stereo patch cable to connect the PC audio (light-green I think) to the line-in on your monitor.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01368612.pdf (step 2b)

Message Edited by RasterBlaster on 11-24-2008 01:25 PM
I am an HP employee expressing my own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
0 Kudos
giboni Top Student
Top Student
5 5 0 1
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I did not look up your Model.Your computer I assume takes iether AGP 8X or PCI vidio.About  two months ago I decided to upgrade several 4yr-5yer old  computers that I had built with 6 up to 8 year old vidio cards.PriceWatch.com has Vendors still selling those cards good ones for that generation of computer 12 dollars shipped.Ebay if you search carefully have a Bunch brand new good cards 8 to 12 dollars with shipping.I bought a lot of Used Nividia Cards from a Seller 10 in all for forty dollars pluss shipping on ebay,A few Nividia 440s Quadro Fx no ATI based though some pci etc. and upgraded all my Geezer Computers to better cards than they had.Though Nividia is King in the Midrange Class now at that time 2004 2005 they were neck and neck performance wise with ATI.If you have a spare PCI slot and you have 4x go PCI for more performance.I think the top midrange cards were like 256megabyte.Last week after a lot of work managed to fit in an ebay sniping win 100 bucks free shipping slightly used Evga 8800gt Akimbo 1gig ddr3 into my Hp 9200t.lost the tuner as the card took up the slot next to it.I wanted to run a monitor at the same time the DLP projector and see how Quake 3 and four looked on my 150 inch diagonal screen.The 8600gt that came with this Hp is a Toy compared to the new card!!.......Good Luck...I find Buy.com is overpriced on everything.The computer is used so a good used card ATI or nividia with 256 on board for ten bucks will be a worthwhile improvement.A big diference requires a board processor capable of handeling the new vidio card technology.Have fun!
0 Kudos
xander71 Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Had the same sound Issue on a pavillion a1730n, went into the bios during resart and enabled fixed sound.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation