cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
mjdonnelly78
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Upgrade cpu

HP Recommended

Hi I have a slimline 3015 and would like to upgrade my processor. I took the spec to a local dhop and he gave me a AMD athalom X2 250 Dual processor AM3. Ihave teid installing it but it doesnt work. I have updated the bios with the only upgrade there.  It works with the old processor in it. a Sempron.

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
gkdiamond
Level 5
216 214 13 28
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

According to your motherboard specs it should be able to run that processor. It may just be a bad processor or have a bent or broken pin, you may want to return it for another one. 

HP Pavilion Slimline s3015.uk Desktop PC Motherboard Specifications

HP Pavilion Slimline s3015.uk Desktop PC Product Specifications

0 Kudos
mjdonnelly78
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

0 Kudos
mjdonnelly78
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yeah I thought it should work but this is the first time I have changed a cpu. Is there anything else likely to be wrong that I can try?

I see people talk about different wattages of processors ?

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
gkdiamond
Level 5
216 214 13 28
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

"Is there anything else likely to be wrong that I can try?"

Well, as I mentioned, it's not uncommon for a pin(s) on the CPU to be bent or even broken off or for that to happen during the installation. And, although it is not as common, I have seen a couple of times where the processor was bad even though it was brand new.

I actually looked for wattage during my first post when I saw that the original processor installed was a Sempron 3500+ because Semprons are relatively low wattage processors and I was a bit surprise to see that HP is recommending processors as high as 140W TDP. I think it might be a good idea to email or put in a call to HP Support and verify that the processors they show as being supported by the motherboard are correct. And also because your motherboard is an AM2 socket and they are recommending both AM2+ and AM3 CPUs. In fact, that is all they are showing for processor upgrades. While It's true that both Am2+ and AM3 processors will work in an AM2 socketed motherboard the BIOS has to specifically support or be written for them and in the case of HP's proprietary motherboards, especially an AM3 CPU in an Am2 socket motherboard that's not too likely and may indeed be why the processor you installed does not work.

0 Kudos
Sizzlingsum_13
Retired
Retired
1,409 1,409 74 136
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@bryansailer1

Thanks for the super quick reply. First off, it is a genuine pleasure to work with you. I truly hope the printer issues get resolved quickly without hassles.

Keep me posted, cheers:)

Regards,
Sizzlingsum_13
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation