Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP 15-g018dx Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I am looking for a replacement wifi adapter for my father's laptop however I am a bit confused on what to get. I read online that HP has a whitelist of wifi adapters that are not compatible to the laptop's BIOS. I have looked into the manual and it says that it supports:

Support for the following WLAN formats:

●Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11bgn 1x1 Wi-Fi Adapter

●Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 802.11bgn 1x1 Wi-Fi Adapter

●Realtek RT8723BE 802.11bgn 1x1 Wi-Fi + BT4.0 Combo Adapter

●Broadcom BCM43142 802.11 bgn 1x1 Wi-Fi + BT4.0 HMC Combo Adapter

However I want wi-fi adapter that can support dual band connection. Any suggustions on which wi-fi adapter to get for the HP 15-g018dx?

Note: (I would also like to know if Broadcom BCM943228HMB 802.11abgn 2x2 Wi-Fi + BT 4.0 Combo Adapter can work with this laptop?)

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

The Broadcom BCM943228HMB 802.11abgn 2x2 Wi-Fi + BT 4.0 Combo Adapter will work just fine in that notebook, provided it has two wireless antennas connected to the current wifi card.

The problem is that HP only installed 1 antenna in many models with single band cards such as the one you are working on.

Adding a 2nd antenna would require extensive disassembly of the notebook including the display panel area, to properly route a 2nd antenna.

So, make sure the notebook has two antenna leads present before puchasing another wlan card.

Do not rely on the illustration in the service manual.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the response. 

I will be looking to see if the wifi adapter comes with two anntenas. In the case that there is only one anntena, do you have any suggestions on other wifi adapters that are not in the manual?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately, I do not.

The only other card you can probably install if the notebook only has one antenna would be the Realtek RT8723BE 802.11bgn 1x1 Wi-Fi + BT4.0 Combo Adapter.

I don't believe that card has two terminals.

The Broadcom single band card may not either, but I am less sure about that one.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.