Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
3 0 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Upgrade to Windows 10

HP Pavilion m7480n
Microsoft Windows XP

I have Microsoft Windows xp & want to upgrade to Windows 10.  Is it possible & if so, how do I achieve it.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 7
750 736 67 131
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Upgrade to Windows 10

Greetings,

Microsoft is not providing a free upgrade path from XP to Win 10 so you will have to purchase the operating system.

Will it work?

Maybe, maybe not. 

Your PC was introduced by HP in 2006.

I would not upgrade to Win 10 even if the processor, chipset, and other components would work on Win 10.

It's gonna be really slow if the upgrade succeeds.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
4 4 1 1
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Upgrade to Windows 10

We would not suggest you upgrading it from xp to Win10.

Once you do that, system might always crash down.

I am an HP employee
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
22,530 22,473 2,057 4,905
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Upgrade to Windows 10

theradia

As already indicated, there is no "upgrade path from XP to Win10", but more important, not only are there no HP Win10 drivers for your PC, there are not even HP Win7 drivers.

Even if the upgrade did succeed, the lack of HP drivers for such older equipment will be a serious problem as some of the functionality present in XP is simply not going to be there in Win10 due entirely to the lack of drivers.

Sorry, but I too would advise against trying the upgrade.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
Level 2
9 9 2 2
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Upgrade to Windows 10

Hi theradia,

All the responses before are true, there is no a free upgrade path from XP to Win10 and seems like you won't be able to find the drivers in the HP support site.

I investigated further because there are some CPUs that doesn't support new architectures but I surprisingly found that a 2006 computer with Pentium D and 2GB RAM runs Windows 10 smoothly. The problem is when you try to work with it, given you have only 2GB of memory available, you won't be able to multitask a lot, opening Edge or Chrome browser will consume almost all of your resources, you can read the quoted experience result below (not mine):

"My experience with this 9-year-old box shocked me: It ran super-smooth and was surprisingly responsive just navigating Windows 10’s menu system.

Reality hit me in the face, though, when I decided to actually do something—like task the Edge Browser with opening five media-heavy pages, including PCWorld.com. That’s when it all ground to a halt. Some of that comes from the albatross of the truly atrocious Pentium D CPU, and some of that comes from the mere 2GB of memory in the system."

Now, regarding the drivers, maybe you won't find them in the HP site but you can take a look to the vendors' sites and download the latest versions.

If you still have the original hardware, you should have a NVIDIA GeForce 7 series graphics card and most probably a Realtek high definition audio card. I know that GeForce 7 series have Win8 support but I cannot tell if that driver will work in Win10. In my experience, it should work but anything can happen on practice.

If you have no experience upgrading PC I wouldn't recommend you to do it but if you really want to try, my advice would be: If there is still a Developer preview or a 30-day Win10 trial out there you can install it and see how it goes for you, installing all the drivers and all your applications shouldn't be an issue if you know the PC specs. If it works as you expect, you can buy Win10 license and activate the product directly. If it doesn't work, you can always go back to the factory system using the recovery partition in your PC.

Here are the specs of your motherboard: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00379616

Here is a list of the latest drivers I found for your PC:

- Graphics for Win8 x64 (might work in Win10): http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/82758/en-us

- Realtek HD audio for Win10: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsview.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownT...

- LAN Intel 82562GT: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/76951/Intel-82562-Fast-Ethernet-Controller

Kind Regards,
Josh

- I am an HP Employee
- Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post)
- Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation